Different BC Insurance required?

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I insured my new quad a week ago my insurance company asked if it was going to be operated out of my home province for more than a month! Don't know the reasoning but it won't be so I said No

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just verified this,.. point form

License/registration
STRAIGHT across,.. NO traveling 2 wheels on shoulder, 2 on side,.. NOT on highway at all <---she said very enforced
Ditches are legal

Hmm, it is my understanding that not ALL ditches are legal; it depends on the type of highway and the county that your in. Provincial highways/ditches are off limits except when crossing.

For all those interested:
Here's a link to the most current Alberta Traffic Safety Act: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/t06.pdf

Here's a link to a publication that sumarizes the Traffic Safety Acts for us: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/small_vehicle_booklet_final.pdf

Here's a link to the most current BC Motor Vehicle Act: Table of Contents - Motor Vehicle Act

Here's a link to the BC Off Road Vehicle Management Framework FAQ:

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dean, I was thinking later that it would be interesting to operate and walk beside a side by side at the same time. I have heard numerous complaints about a particular officer operating out of Valemount from various people. I dont know if this officer is one and the same. Its good to hear that there is some flexability when it comes to crossing a highway in BC.

It didn't say the driver had to get off just passengers. It would be more dangerous to walk it accross IMHO.

A buddy got a ticket once for taking his sled accross the highway from the Peaks to the gas station in Revy once. I just thought it was an in town thing.

TB

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm, it is my understanding that not ALL ditches are legal; it depends on the type of highway and the county that your in. Provincial highways/ditches are off limits except when crossing.

Then I don't know, she was at the detachment and conversed with a constable, city ditches no, county yes

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, getting to technical for me, planned to go for a weekend ride before fall to Canoe mountain, but if thats the attitude theres lots of riding here for less accomodation/fuel/time $'s.

i hate to say this but don't stop!!!! They can not legally chase you unless you just did a very serious crime... if you got hurt... that cops job would be done!!! i hate to say that as I always felt common sence played a major roll... but odviously everything in gov these days including police have lost their common sence. I use to live in the interior of BC... cops didn't care if you crossed the highway at a 90 degree angle... Valmount sounds like where they send all the idiots... some wierd issues creep up even for sledders... its always the good guys who pay for camping go with families that pay the price... last i knew in BC you didn't need plates... just to prove you had 1, 000, 000 in liability... don't quote me on that it's been 5 years...

sorry the other guys had to cancel their 9 day camp...

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is probably that same A$$hole that was giving me the stink eye at the A&W in Valemount last year. He just stared at me the whole time I was eating, I asked him what he was staring at and he said not much. I asked him if I did anything wrong and he shrugged his shoulders as to say maybe. Then he got up and left and took a long hard look at my buddies truck with our sleds on the deck. I didnt think much of it and when we finished eating we hopped in the truck and headed back to the Ramada. He then come out of nowhere in his cruiser and pulled us over in the parking lot at Ramada. He came to the window and said he wanted to see all our paperwork for our sleds and when I asked why, he said "cause young punks like you are always up to no good and I bet you guys haven't got any of the correct paperwork for these sleds, and if you don't I can seize them right now." I said really....... well today your wrong officer. We showed him all our paperwork and after we made him feel stupid with a couple smart a$$ comments he said "well...... I actually stopped you because you two matched a description of some people that were reported to have stole a silver dodge with a sled deck and sleds". I called bullch!t on it and said if thats all officer I need to go back to my room now, as I don't have all night to sit here and be accused of $hit I never did. Never did see the little weasel again. Got checked the next morning at the Allen Creek parking lot by a cop doing serial # checks and he was very polite and nice to deal with. Never came right out with accusations or anything. Just a friendly hello how are you this morning and explained what he was doing......... it was one extreme to the next with those guys

why can't they all be like that... i look forward to someone checking my vin... hope they help me "when" my ride gets stolen!!!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading the original post and hearing everyone with a similar experiences vent about small town, small man syndrome police officers bullying people around because they feel they can, one has to ask the question, Is there any recourse for these officers doing this? If anyone stands up for themselves and reasonably points out that they are 100% correct in a situation with the police such as these, what can they do? If they try to seize my machine because im riding in Vale on day 6 without valid B.C. insurance and registration after 5 days, can i stop them without going to jail??
Its frustrating sometimes that we are forced to deal with these situations sometimes because of the sport we love and there is little to no recourse for the people who abuse not only the power but also the responsibility that is bestowed upon them!

best thing go to their boss' with formal complaint... if not answered properly go to media! seems only thing that works now a days

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hate to say this but don't stop!!!! They can not legally chase you unless you just did a very serious crime... if you got hurt... that cops job would be done!!! i hate to say that as I always felt common sence played a major roll... but odviously everything in gov these days including police have lost their common sence. I use to live in the interior of BC... cops didn't care if you crossed the highway at a 90 degree angle... Valmount sounds like where they send all the idiots... some wierd issues creep up even for sledders... its always the good guys who pay for camping go with families that pay the price... last i knew in BC you didn't need plates... just to prove you had 1, 000, 000 in liability... don't quote me on that it's been 5 years...

sorry the other guys had to cancel their 9 day camp...

I have heard enough about crap like this in Valemount is one place I will never go. Stuff like this can really hurt an areas tourism economy.

Top Bottom