differences between 97 and 2001 mm 700

Customization

Reaction score
hey what are the differeences between a 97 700mm and a 2001 mm 700.besides the tracks and the colors i want too know what they changes anything to the engine, clutches, carb sizes reliablility issues. i am 15 looking at them as we used too own one before we sold our old stuff and bought new m8's anyways i am wanting to buy one for around home. i know that there is a track angle diference but no worries as i would be doing a tunnel extension to a 144. and a 136 skid with big wheel kit off a crossfire 7

snowdad4

Reaction score
the crank bearings were updated(stronger) in 98 or 99 otherwise that engine has remained the same over the years. a higher output ignition along with the dual headlight setup was used on the 01.

there have been reports of the pre-2000 models having driveshaft issues as well as steering post issue- both seemed to break under extreme use.

your already aware of the most noticable like track, approach angle, tunnel, etc. 97-99 ran 9t drivers, 8t 2000 and up. beyond that, along with some subtle airbox changes, most parts interchange.

Customization

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I do know about the track aprroach angle and stuff like that and also that the 141 skid and 136 skids are the same. So you would suggest going with a 98 or higher and will the ignition change matter. The headlight is the least of my concerns swapping out for some smaller lighter ones. I want a 6 inch riser with protapper bars can this be down with a longer throttle and brake cable

snowdad4

Reaction score
the skids arent really the same as the 141 mounts further back from the driveshaft and the pivot arms are located differently on the rails. the 97-99's can be altered to bring them to 2000 specs using the 136 rails and relocating mount points.

the ignition change was more for the higher output and some weight savings on rotating mass. dont think it made any significant power differences.

for the risers you will need throttle and oil cables as well as the brake line. cheapest route on the cables is to use oem ones from an 03 mtn viper. only 03 will work. these cables allow you to be able to properly adjust vs rsi or powermadd type extensions. for the brake line, anything you can find longer and having the correct fittings will work.

Top Bottom