Cooked Regulator/Rectifier on 88 700 Grizzly

Badger6724

Reaction score
My voltage regulator/rectifier on my 88 700 failed so I bought a new one on ebay for cheap. Ran fine with a voltage of 14.4 at 5000 rpm. A little high as the service manual said it should be 14v. It failed after ten minutes running. (voltage was up to 16v at 5000 rpm and the VDI controller shuts down the engine) So I bought a more expensive one off of ebay. It failed in ten minutes. (again over voltage) After a few minutes of running regulator is very hot to the touch. The connections looked a little crispy so I changed those. I have checked all the wiring in the harness to the engine case, all looks good. I don't want to buy a very expensive OEM regulator/rectifier just to have it cooked too. Is it possible that the stator is cooking these cheap regulator/rectifiers or they are just crap. I checked the stator but the test value is 0.108 ohms and my digital meter only has 0.1 reading and doesn't support any further decimal points. Any opinions would be welcome.

olymon

Reaction score
I know a lot of guys over on the honda twins motorcycle forum are using a john deere lawn tactor regulator/rectifier. I did the swap on a old motorcycle my wife has, seems to work fine. A search should come up with the swap and part number.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom