cooked a motor yesterday

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ol' man and I were riding yesterday and he cooked the motor in his powder special, it's not so SPECIAL any more. Thinking its just in need of a piston and ring on the one side but will do both. Not sure if the jug is done but thought I would ask around here, if anyone has some spare parts ( jugs) for a 98 powder special 600 EFI ? Depending on the damage in there, may need the head too. So if any one has a few partsd they are looking to sell, let me know. Need to get it back up and running soon, before he gets WITHDRAWLS, LOL :eek:. Thanks :d

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
better off fixing cylinders... and replacing with new pistons and rings.... you do not want to use old parts for you do not know what you are getting...

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll use new pistons and rings but recycled jugs and a head will work. Did that on an old ZR 500 we had, never had any problems. Bought the jug and head from Echo Cycle, but thought it was a bit over priced, thats why Im asking around here. Fellow sledders helping out fellow sledders is all. :d

spike7ss

Reaction score
If you decide to part it out, let me know. Looking for some parts for my 99 powder special. Maybe I should sell you my sled hahaha

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulled the top off the motor and its all good. BUT the recoil (pull cord) cover is all busted up and no spark. Any sugestions what it could be? :confused:

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what were the symptoms when it died? if the recoil blew apart could it have damaged the stator?

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what were the symptoms when it died? if the recoil blew apart could it have damaged the stator?

The recoil didnt blow apart totally. The holes around it where you bolt it on, are all busted out. It ran great then started to bogg and died. Tried to pull if over and nothing. Still has lots of compression pulling the cord. :confused:
Just has no spark now.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The recoil didnt blow apart totally. The holes around it where you bolt it on, are all busted out. It ran great then started to bogg and died. Tried to pull if over and nothing. Still has lots of compression pulling the cord. :confused:
Just has no spark now.

Sounds like a stator issue. If the holes in the stator housing where the recoil assembly bolts to it are broken then maybe some of the chuncks got into the stator magneto assembly and damaged the stator?? Have any close up pics of the damage? Deffinately sounds like Stator. '98 600's only had about 3500 - 4000 miles of stator life on them at best. Mine (98 zr 600 carb) went at 4500 miles. Bought a rebuilt for 250.00 from Dons Speed Parts and it was good to go.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a stator issue. If the holes in the stator housing where the recoil assembly bolts to it are broken then maybe some of the chuncks got into the stator magneto assembly and damaged the stator?? Have any close up pics of the damage? Deffinately sounds like Stator. '98 600's only had about 3500 - 4000 miles of stator life on them at best. Mine (98 zr 600 carb) went at 4500 miles. Bought a rebuilt for 250.00 from Dons Speed Parts and it was good to go.

Thanks for the info, will try to get some pictures and post later. :cool:

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 700 wild cat had pick up coil problem were the wires run threw the casing
they usually break if your recoil let go it will damage the wires hope this help

spike7ss

Reaction score
Sounds like a stator issue too. without stator there is no power for anything, which means no run.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any one have a spare one kicking around for sale? Need to get back on and ride asap. :d

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any one have a spare one kicking around for sale? Need to get back on and ride asap. :d

Mare, I just got parts for my 99 powder special from threadkiller. He was very helpful. Also saw lots on ebay.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BAD NEWS...... Took the sled to our local shop and OUCH!!! A peice of the recoil busted off and went into the stator and screwed it up as well as the flywheel. Flywheel is warped and a chunk is missing from the stator.. S@$T... Unless I find some used parts, this sled is parked for the rest of the season. PLEASE!!!!! Anyone that has some of these parts and want to sell them, give me a shout. :crying3:

Top Bottom