Clutching for 1997 Summit 670 with 151" track

Toy4Fun

Reaction score
I just put a 151 x 2" track on my 1997 Summit 670 (great upgrade). What are some clutching tips as far as weights, spring, secondary, helix etc? I'm riding mainly sea level with some mountains up here in Alaska. My machine has HAC system still and engine is basically stock.

Darrell262

Reaction score
Website
www.calculatedrisk.ca
I have a 98 Summit x 670 with a drop and roll and a 151. Here's what I did. I geared it down to 18/43, but if your not too heavy a 19/43 would work. I prefer the 18 as it really gets up and goes, top end sucks.
I played with the secondary a bit, but then I ended up leaving it at the stock setting which I think is B6. it has alot of back pressure with the huge spring they put in the secondary. Off the top of my head I think its 21 pounds. (98 summit x clutch eh)
The primary you could probley leave stock with 19/43 gearing. I think 21/43 gearing is stock. I ended up puting solid pins in my primary (16 grams of weight) and a big spring. I can't remember the spring I ended up putting in it. But after the soild pins and the 18/43 gearing it got up and went, and doesn't blow belts. It also didn't back shift almost at all lol, which I liked because the max torque is 7700 and max HP is 7900? or something like that so the rpm needle would bounce from 7700 to 8000.
Keep in mind this was on a 98 summit x with the DPM and all that crap. I think it made more HP then the 97 did. You'll like the 151. It really helps out the sled's wheelie problem.
I hope this helps you out with some ideas. I still have the sled but its pretty old now, I am suprised I still remember all of this stuff off the top of my head.
I do remember that with me on the sled on a lake (Me bring pretty heavy) I dragged a Skidoo MXZ 800 (newer) with a 136inch track and I kept up with him untill about 80km/h when he blew by me, but I was suprised I kept up with him at all.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've run a Purple/Purple, get adjustable pins and put a Cat secondary on. In the secondary I like the Cat R/W or the Cutler R/W. A stock 49 helix would probably be fine, they are cheap so it's easy to play.

Top Bottom