Caught on Video - Buried in avalanche - Valemount 2016

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are the rock outcrops on the big face again. I have seen a lot of events on social media where those red flags are jumping right out at you. Lucky guy and glad he pulled through.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here's what I posted in the same thread on Snowmobile Chat.......................

Thank your friends for their prompt reactions. Happy that you made it out okay.

Hind sight is 20-20 vision. I wasn't there to fully know the circumstances but in the video there appeared to be a some things not kosher with proper avalanche training. There are clips in the video that may be used as teaching tools in next years avi classes, IMHO.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wowzers! Thats nuts! its so crazy how fast that happens,just all of a sudden BOOM, your screwed. Glad your ok and nobodies hurt. SO in your own words, looking back on this Can you point out all the things you would do different? What were the signs you should have seen? How can we take away useful information from this incident? I could sit here and make un educated guesses but I would like to hear it from you, seeing as you got up close and personal with one of these beasts and lived to tell the tale. How steep was it, was there fresh snow fall, was it the overhang above that failed? How thick was the crown? I just really want information as much as possible to aid in my own back country analysis, cuz these things scare the crap out of me. Any way glad you pulled thru this one.

Top Bottom