Castle Avalanche

topomountain

Reaction score
Anyone have any Info on the avy out by castle mountain. Said in the news it covered a snowmobile trail.

wilsonck

Reaction score
there are pics on either here or snowest. They had posted under fernie or something. If you have ever unloaded at castle ski hill and then taken the trail, there is a certain hill that will slide over the trail. The hill isn't big, but it gets wind loaded and with this last snow, I guess it slid.

Boblikesfun

Reaction score
Sounds like you are refering to the one that happened on sunday. Here is the link and the brief report. I'm not sure of the exact location but I haven't checked the C.A.C. site.

Class three avalanche hits near Castle Mountain on Sunday

There's been an avalanche south of the Castle Mountain Ski Resort near Pincher Creek. R.C.M.P. say the class-three snow slide happened just after one o'clock Sunday afternoon and was triggered by a couple of cross-country skiiers. The avalanche was big enough to flatten large trees and cover a snowmobile trail. Castle Mountain Ski Patrol conducted a thorough search of the area and everyone was accounted for. Pincher Creek Mounties say people venturing into the back country should use extreme caution.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so here it is my friends and myself are castle locals I wasnt out there that weekend but they i guess on friday or sat cant remeber had a sled not running at the bottom of the lease site in the trees and were worried about it getting burried in there so they carefully got it out of there. went back t castle went to go for a ride S&R stopped them and said there was an avy on the hill and covereed the sled trail the release was triggered by a skier this hill slides alot and is very dangerous people really should avoid doing anything on it crossing under it is scary at the best of times. play safe out there this weekend!

Boblikesfun

Reaction score
so here it is my friends and myself are castle locals I wasnt out there that weekend but they i guess on friday or sat cant remeber had a sled not running at the bottom of the lease site in the trees and were worried about it getting burried in there so they carefully got it out of there. went back t castle went to go for a ride S&R stopped them and said there was an avy on the hill and covereed the sled trail the release was triggered by a skier this hill slides alot and is very dangerous people really should avoid doing anything on it crossing under it is scary at the best of times. play safe out there this weekend!

>on friday or sat cant remeber

It was Sunday.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Jared...you're a real good guy, but you need to take some grammar and sentence writing courses...:d:d:d

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score

Attachments

• 103_0823.jpg
    103_0823.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 851
  • 103_0829.jpg
    103_0829.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 854

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
I just thought I would post this pic up. It's from yesterday, March 4 after about 90 cm of new snow. At the bottom of the ski tracks is two snowmobiles. One is stuck, and four guys trying to dig it out. I would have told them off, but I'm not stopping there.

Attachments

• CIMG0070.jpg
    CIMG0070.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 520

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some people just don't learn....
of all the areas to play when castle gets 90cm, they ride the first one they see, the one that always slides. boys gotta smarten up out there.

but on better note, how was it???

Boblikesfun

Reaction score
I just thought I would post this pic up. It's from yesterday, March 4 after about 90 cm of new snow. At the bottom of the ski tracks is two snowmobiles. One is stuck, and four guys trying to dig it out. I would have told them off, but I'm not stopping there.

Thats why I laugh when I hear people in our sport talk about a media conspiracy to give our sport a bad name. There doesn't need to be a conspiracy to give it a bad name ......... there are plenty of people like those in the picture who are prepared to do it themselves.:nono: Lets be careful !

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Those guys are not too bright. I knew two that died on that hill. Was out skiing at Castle on Thursday. Heard some big natural releases in the PM when it was warming up.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thats why we went to fernie and stayed in tree's,, I was so temted to ride castle on the 5th but chose other wise,, fawk it would have been good but we also had a great day just not the same terrain....

thanks for info I love castle,, seen some big rips in there... the more info the better,,,

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jared...you're a real good guy, but you need to take some grammar and sentence writing courses...:d:d:d

hahaha no point kevin it seems like my point seems to get across thats what matters lol besides i'm from lundbreck alberta we dont believe much in that fancy sentence writting hahahahaa how have you been lately

Joum39

Reaction score
Thats why I laugh when I hear people in our sport talk about a media conspiracy to give our sport a bad name. There doesn't need to be a conspiracy to give it a bad name ......... there are plenty of people like those in the picture who are prepared to do it themselves.:nono: Lets be careful ![/QUOTE

Sad thing is I'm pretty sure the people in that picture aren't really in our sport, they were skiers's using sleds to get to the back country, half-breaders... we rode castle both thursday and Friday, snow set-up real nice both days and was a ton of fun in the trees.

Top Bottom