Case/pto seal leak?

irishgreen4

Reaction score
I was riding today and i noticed that the idle was high and consistantly uneven. so when i got back i checked for leaks with some carb clean and found the engine to start to surge around the pto seal and also found there to be some oil leaking out of the case. So it looks like the case needs to be split and resealed and the pto side seal needs to be replaced. Now my question is, what is the easiest way to do this? Does the lower half of the case just come right off? and if it does can i just change the pto seal without removing the crank and just the clutch removed while the lower case is off? The reason i ask is because i dont have the tools to remove the flywheel and everything on tha recoil side of the engine.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have to remove the engine to change that seal. You have to remove the clutch to change that seal. it is a 90 % disassemble job. when you have it all apart you are going to run into all sorts of other things that will need attention. Its not a quick thing. How many kms? crank might need new bearings, waterpump might need new bearings....... since you have it apart why not new pistons.......... about 2000 bucks is what happens in most cases.

irishgreen4

Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be possible to just remove the engne from the sled, remove the clutch on one side, the flywheel/stator on the other and split the lower case to reseal the case leak and replace both crank seals?

irishgreen4

Reaction score
Though i do see your point in just going through the whole motor, but it was running good before the leak(nice tan/brown tipped spark plugs and all compression equal across the board). The reason why i am looking for a quick way out is because the riding season is short here in MA. So i want it back on snow asap.

irishgreen4

Reaction score
well i tore down what i needed to and i didn't have to touch the top end. all i had to do was remove the clutch, the stator and flywheel then the bottom of the case. seals will come right out and the case can resealed upon assembly. More like a 40% dissasembly.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i tore down what i needed to and i didn't have to touch the top end. all i had to do was remove the clutch, the stator and flywheel then the bottom of the case. seals will come right out and the case can resealed upon assembly. More like a 40% dissasembly.

Good for you man i hope it hold together for ya. I would never advise someone to do that but if it works for you then good on ya!!

Top Bottom