can someone explain how this scam works

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
paypal always protects the buyer so the give you the money pick up the sled and then call paypal and tell them they have been scamed and so as paypal policies it is to protect the buyer they take the money out of your account as well as they end up with the machine
thats as far as i understand it anyways

sounds right. i would hope there would be a little more investigation with 10,000$ lol. not " heres your 10g back" LOL

knowing this i almost want the guy to come over so i can smack some sense into him.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds right. i would hope there would be a little more investigation with 10,000$ lol. not " heres your 10g back" LOL

knowing this i almost want the guy to come over so i can smack some sense into him.

I'd give that a try tell him its in ur shop at the back then lock the door and don't let him out until you've let the dog off the chain. I've got a couple shepards and dog food is getting expensive.lol

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya exactly ... the only reason i kinda think i have an idea about it is my grandpa was selling an antique harley and got this email ... he just about got scammed but he showed me the email before he made the deal so we looked into it and did some research and found out how it worked

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I had a guy try to buy a sled off me last year, same thing, offered more, worked on a ship blah blah blah. He said he deposited money into my Paypal but in reality was a bogus Paypal invoice that looked 100% correct. Then when I contacted him saying that I received his online Paypal bill but never actually got any money he said he needed me to deposit $1000.00 into Western union for his buyer to pick it up and that I would get the $1000.00 plus extra back when Paypal released the money to me. Can't remember what he said about why Paypal was holding the money but it was all bull.. The guy was from the UK somewhere. I just ignore that crap now.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the same email two days ago for a truck Im selling. Plus all the "please get back to me at this email" text's????? Anyone know why they want you to return via email? Do they sell your email address to the spam marketers??? I dont get it!

'

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
how can this go wrong? once money is in my paypal account its mine! how does this scam work

@gmail.com
3:10 PM (2 hours ago)
to jqpr94

Sled is still available.
Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

Jason james jqpr94@gmail.com
3:16 PM (1 hour ago)
to me

Get back to me with your price cuz i have closed the ad page or you can even send me a link to your add..Thanks!!

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM, <seanmaxwell1987@gmail.com> wrote:
Sled is still available.

Reply Forward

seanmaxwell1987@gmail.com
3:18 PM (1 hour ago)
to Jason

Lowered price to 10,000. Comes with brand new 3" track installed, brand new airframe running boards installed and the piston recall just done so 100km on new top end.

Jason james jqpr94@gmail.com
3:35 PM (1 hour ago)
to me

Thanks for your swift response. I will be glad if you can mail me the present condition cuz due to nature of my job i will not be able to come for inspection, am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday, i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

Your price is Okay and i can offer you little bit more like $10,100.00, am offering you more than your asking price due to other potential buyers i hope my offer is acceptable..?

As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ... So no shipping included.. My private courier agent will come for the pick up and sign all necessary documents on my behalf after the payment have been made, as they will also be coming with all the information needed, my details and transferring the name of ownership to me will be done by the pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that...

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply. If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap."

seanmaxwell1987@gmail.com
3:54 PM (1 hour ago)
to Jason

Sounds like a scam to me your not going to come look at something worth 10 grand lol

I got the EXACT same email selling my truck word for word they only change the price they have no idea what they responding too....If you read it it's a canned message it pertains to anything sleds, trucks, boats, airplanes....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least the good thing is they don't put to much effort into it. If they actually called you, haggled price, asked questions, and did it really smart it would be very tough to tell it was a scam.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and just because someone wants to buy something site unseen doesn't mean it's a scam. My brother had a guy from B.C buy a truck site unseen, the guy who was receiving it for the shipping company quickly looked it over but not much. Only difference was he actually did everything by phone, and the money was transferred in person. So site unseen or shipping company does make a person seem fishy, but there is a small chance of it being legit, but most scammers are retarded so shouldn't be hard to tell.

BLEIB

Reaction score
Could be wrong... But the paypal link they provide has an invalid security certificate. So maybe they are spoofing paypal to get access to your account info.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom