Can I cut the extra off the Reese Tow bar extension?

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Reese tow bar extension for 48" or 41" so I can tow my enclosed while my truck camper RV is on the back of the truck.. The pain, is that I have to remove the spare tire for it to fit in the proper 41" position.

Anyone know if I can cut off the excess of the bar? I will never need the full 48" If so, how much can I cut off? Would cutting it off affect the performance of the tow bar?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say you can. If you wanted to make it long then it might be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just measure from the pin hole in the receiver to the tire. Cut of the extension a couple inches before the tire. It will be fine.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like said above, cut it off so you have enough room to mount your spare ensuring the hitch gets full engagement in the trucks receiver.

Shake and bake!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While you're at it, check and see if you can actually get that spare tire out of there with your camper on. I can't with mine. Hauled it for two years before I figured that one out.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a good point. I know I can with my camper but it is on a long box and the camper is a 8'6" length

Top Bottom