Can-am's for winter riding

Yamaha4Life

Reaction score
Im getting a 2010 650 xt in a few days and i am exited about it. But the snow is falling and i have had a 2008 yamaha grizzly 700 in the snow it was awsome. But anyways what kind of oil should i be using and im going to be runing 93+ octane fuel is that ok on a 650? But how do you guys like your can am for winter riding? an tips on riding it on not getting stuck. also how do these things start up like in -20 ish weather :d thanks guys

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run whatever fuel the owner manual says. My 07 says 87 Octane is fine. Running premium when it is not required will give you LESS power. The manual has oil listings and temperature ranges in it as well. I just run 5w30 synth year round in my 07 with no issues.

Tips for snow? Pinn'er and grin! The Canned Hams have a little less ground clearance than the Gizz, but a lot more jam.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think all the 2010 motors are "R" motors. I think your 650 makes the same HP as my 07 800 did stock. (62hp?)

I don't even concern myself with the numbers any more. Just run it. The fun-factor on the Can Ams is much higher than most other machines. I used to get a new machine ever year or at the most every other year. My 07 still makes me grin every time I ride it....I beat the snot outta it and it just keeps going. Grease it often, change fluids once a season, and drive it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom