Can-Am Commander reliability

drunkukrainian

Reaction score
So my old man got out of cows and wants to ditch his 2 Honda Ranchers for a sxs. Being a Honda die-hard, he was pretty set on a Pioneer, but I showed him a Commander at the ATV show here and now he's thinking twice. Our only concern with them is reliabilty as we don't have any experience with BRP products, other than the new Summit I just got, so does anyone have any experience or other input?

scottevil30

Reaction score
I had an 800 outlander 2007 and beat it pretty hard for 5 years sold it to upgrade to the commander. But I never had any issues with it that were not my fault.

Have not had too much experience with the commander yet but is so much fun and seems like a great machine. Takes a good beating so far.

Hope that helps

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had 2, a 2012 1000 and a 2013 1000 both very good, 12 has 6000km on it with minor repairs. 13 has been good so far with 3500km. These are used for checking wells so they are mostly high speed road running. All in all I am impressed.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned BRP quads for years and have had very few issues and never any motor or tranny issues at all and I ride hard

Sent from my S4

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a '12 Commander 1000 XT. replaced front diff on warranty last summer, but other than that no issues. had to move it out of my enclosed trailer last week and it fired right up at -30C after sitting in there since november.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How old is the old man? I am a pretty staunch BRP supporter, but for an old guy who doesn't want to crawl in and out of a low-slung seat, a Polaris Ranger 900 might be something to look at. A couple of the guys on here have 'em and they perform every bit as good as a sportier SxS.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on the Ranger 900. Like DaveB said, all depends on what he is looking at using it for. If being used for some "utility" work, the commander seats get old pretty quick. Less forward vision in the Commander, but definitely more comfortable if doing some cruising.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imdooin has the 900 ranger. It Is a great machine.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Visco lock diff.

I did see on commander and Maverik forums. That GKN driveline builds the front diff. They do make the visco lock with a override to solid lock no slipping front diff.

BRP does not offer it. I think that would be a good option. IMO.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you are steep rock crawling, the Visco lock is the best system out there. Non-issue.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 can am commander with 5500km and have had the rear diff and the gear box replaced under warranty which i think is bs because I baby the machine but if u get a 2014 commander they have a new rear diff that is alot quieter and should be a more reliable machine! The rear diffs on these commanders have been a major issue with people because of how loud it screams!

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Visco lock diff.

I did see on commander and Maverik forums. That GKN driveline builds the front diff. They do make the visco lock with a override to solid lock no slipping front diff.

BRP does not offer it. I think that would be a good option. IMO.

There is a group of guys that have modified the visco-lok with a cable actuated mechanical lockup feature. They are still testing it and is not yet ready for full production. Unlocked it maintains it's original operation.

drunkukrainian

Reaction score
How old is the old man? I am a pretty staunch BRP supporter, but for an old guy who doesn't want to crawl in and out of a low-slung seat, a Polaris Ranger 900 might be something to look at. A couple of the guys on here have 'em and they perform every bit as good as a sportier SxS.

54...they already tried out a Commander and said they like it. Really all I can think of them using it for is cruising, dad moving stuff around the farm and spraying fencelines once in awhile, and mom for gardening. Mostly gravel road blasting I'd say though. Polaris dealership might be an issue too, have never actually dealt with them but my uncle has a couple older Rangers and always seems to be shelling out big bucks whenever he takes them in.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a group of guys that have modified the visco-lok with a cable actuated mechanical lockup feature. They are still testing it and is not yet ready for full production. Unlocked it maintains it's original operation.

Thanks for the information.

Top Bottom