Calling Lake and Long Lake Area Snow?

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have first hadn knowledge of the amount of snow Calling Lake area and the area east to the Athabsaca River, or the area just east of Long Lake south of Boyle?

wildf

Reaction score
Calling Lake has about a foot of snow with no base,have not herd if anyone has been on the trail yet to the river so have to watch for deadfall on the trail.

rtk

Reaction score
I have a cabin just east of Smoky Lake. There is about 8 inches of snow there as of yesterday and only about 5 inches of ice on our lake not enough to be safe.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Calling Lake has 12 -16 inches of snow depending which direction you go... east or west of Calling. My brother has a cabin there and we ride about 4-6 time a year up there. First hand information anyways... it's a good start for the season. We've seen 4 feet of snow up there in years past, most cutlines are never touched all year, Powder on the Flatlands!

Here's a shot taken at "Art's View Point" over looking the Athabasca river, from March last year... 2 feet plus of good base, soft snow... awesome 100 mile plus days!

Attachments

• 2007_0312CallingLake-Jett0024.jpg
    2007_0312CallingLake-Jett0024.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 295

Dzl

Reaction score
I have a cabin just east of Smoky Lake. There is about 8 inches of snow there as of yesterday and only about 5 inches of ice on our lake not enough to be safe.

Did you get anymore snow last night? Any runs across the ice bridge to the Rats Cabin yet?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

With the cold nights I'm surprised at only 5" of ice!? I spoke to my dad last night, he lives in Smokey, and he was saying the snow is good, even on the trails only the odd rock sticking up. I'm sure if a guy headed North towards Cold Lake from Smokey it would keep getting better. Might check it out end of this week or on the weekend.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Scotty, does your brother have one of the Trapper's cabins by Athabasca River? I've been down there and know the area somewhat. I'm trying to decide either to go to Calling Lake this weekend, or make the longer trip to north of Swan Hills area. I've got a new sled, so I'm just a little worried about breaking something hiding under the snow if there's not enough, as I know those trails can be a bit rough (quadded there alot) at times. Is this report of 12 to 16 inches fairly current? We got about 3 inches in Ardrossan last night, so if they get some more up there, I may head up there. Thanks for the info so far.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Scotty, does your brother have one of the Trapper's cabins by Athabasca River? I've been down there and know the area somewhat. I'm trying to decide either to go to Calling Lake this weekend, or make the longer trip to north of Swan Hills area. I've got a new sled, so I'm just a little worried about breaking something hiding under the snow if there's not enough, as I know those trails can be a bit rough (quadded there alot) at times. Is this report of 12 to 16 inches fairly current? We got about 3 inches in Ardrossan last night, so if they get some more up there, I may head up there. Thanks for the info so far.

Fargineyesore... My brothers cabin is in the cottage community (the only one on the lake) on the south east side of the lake. We ride right from the cabin of course. If you are referring to the trapper cabin right down on the river shore (east side of the Athabasca river), no that is not his! I'll post a pic of some of us down there at that cabin, also a shot of a group of us at the tiny trapper cabin at the top over looking the river... Great view and a killer spot to cook lunch!

I live around Ardrossan as well... rr 214 twp 521 just a mile north of South Cooking Lake.

The 12" - 16" is accurate as my brother does not exaggerate when it comes to snow depth... and since then there has been more falling, however as we all know this time of the year the snow keeps settling and can appear to be less from day to day.

Wow is it sure falling out here right now, really heavy and accumulating like crazy!!!! Makes me all giddy!

Attachments

• Down by the Athabasca River.jpg
    Down by the Athabasca River.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Tiny Trapper cabin above river.jpg
    Tiny Trapper cabin above river.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 267

Bucky

Reaction score
Hey Scotty, is the top pick the cabin that is on the bank of the Atha-B?

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Scotty, is the top pick the cabin that is on the bank of the Atha-B?

Bucky... nice to see you here again, the top pic is the cabin which is right down by the river, almost "sea level" as far as the river goes. It is south west of Calling Lake. There are trails that run right past this cabin and eventually join the Peace River Trail. The bottom pic is a little cabin that is about 150 feet above the river with a great view! Steep banks that lead down to the river below.

EJHrider

Reaction score
How long of a drive is it to calling lake from Ardrosson. Is there actually enough snow to go? I don't want to bang up my new sled.

wildf

Reaction score
I went out for a 50 mile run to burn the first tank of mixed fuel in my sled on sunday around Athabasca,ditches had about a foot of snow,trans canada trail pretty beat up.Calling lake is supposed to be better and hope to get a chance to go for a ride there this weekend if Christmas stuff gets rapped up by then, will post conditions after weekend if I go.Calling Lake is about 40 minutes north of Athabasca,probably you could get there in under 2 hours from Ardrossan.

joesled

Reaction score
rode calling lake 2weeks ago and was not to bad.about 16-18" of snow.first time there,was impressed with the trail system and worm up shacks around the area.had ridden rob 1wk earlier and the snow there was very thin.

joesled

Reaction score
i am limited on directions,it was my first time there.my buds new the area,but we drove about 1/2hr west of athabasca and staged only 10mins away from the lake.sorry i dont have any pics.was so excited about riding the xp that i forgot the camera.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any news on snow conditions at Calling Lake Area. I'm thinking of going mid March, probably east to the North Sask River area.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how much snow is at the Calling Lake area these days?

Top Bottom