Calgary to Fernie. Which highway to take?

Rizzo

Reaction score
Going to be going from Fernie to Calgary next weekend and was wondering which highway you guys take? The 22 from Lundbreck ( 35 kms shorter ) or the 2 from Ft Mcleod. Is the 22 a bad highway and is it better and faster to go down the 2 and across or is the 2 a good road. Just not sure which is better or faster? Thanks guys,

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Hwy 22 is shorter but often has wind gusts when you get south of Hwy 520. I'd say the last 20-26 klm is the sketchy part. Drove down and back yesterday and there a few sections with black ice from snow blowing over the highway, but it's ok as long as you slow down where it's not dry.

goddess112

Reaction score
Please check road reports both ways. When we returned to Calgary area on Sat the 9th we took highways 2 and 3. The gusts were bad from Lundbreck to Clareshom and black ice alot of the way. People had hit the ditch in alot of areas. The roads were not closed, but there were wind warnings for a good reason!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The fastest way is to go north at Lundbreck on #22 and then across to Nanton and up to Calgary on #2. The road through the hills before Nanton can be testy. You will notice that the truckers use this route on most days. But all in all that is the way I travel and sometimes in the winter one has to slow down.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are pulling enclosed trailer I would recommend highway 2. We were pulling enclosed on 22 yesterday and it was sideways behind truck for half a mile.. just lucky we were early birds and traffic was light or could have been big trouble.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are pulling enclosed trailer I would recommend highway 2. We were pulling enclosed on 22 yesterday and it was sideways behind truck for half a mile.. just lucky we were early birds and traffic was light or could have been big trouble.

I had a little incident on Saturday morning when the truck and trailer went sideways with another vehicle coming.

I don't mind a little excitement =) I always go 22.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
22 is faster if the roads are good, I have been taking the 2 because I am on it enough I could drive it in my sleep, and you can do 120 no problem

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive gone both ways and find it doesnt matter as far as time goes
but with 2 being more traveled you would think in bad road conditions it would be better i just slow down if i dont feel comfortable

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your pulling and enclosed trailer I would recommend taking #2 to the Fort then west into the Crowsnest.There is more room for corrections when getting hit with wind gusts.Less hills to climb as well.22 is ok with an open flat deck style trailer,something the wind can't hit as hard.Just slow down and take your time.It's better to get there late than not get there at all,I know this from experience.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fastest way is to go north at Lundbreck on #22 and then across to Nanton and up to Calgary on #2. The road through the hills before Nanton can be testy. You will notice that the truckers use this route on most days. But all in all that is the way I travel and sometimes in the winter one has to slow down.

It used to be the fastest way all the time, and can still be fairly quick but I have found in the last couple years, depending on the time you drive it (like Friday afternoons or Sundays) that a lot of people are now using it. It only takes one nervous nellie to be doing 80 km/hr and one other person that won't pass them and the whole thing becomes a slow moving convoy through the hills. better off IMO to stay off this one unless roads are good and traffic is really light. It winds through the hills and doesn't have too many places to pass (compared to 22 or #2).

Just my thoughts.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It used to be the fastest way all the time, and can still be fairly quick but I have found in the last couple years, depending on the time you drive it (like Friday afternoons or Sundays) that a lot of people are now using it. It only takes one nervous nellie to be doing 80 km/hr and one other person that won't pass them and the whole thing becomes a slow moving convoy through the hills. better off IMO to stay off this one unless roads are good and traffic is really light. It winds through the hills and doesn't have too many places to pass (compared to 22 or #2).

Just my thoughts.

That is quite true!! and I definitel hear you about "nervous Nellie".....

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just my thoughts.
That is true, Lundbreck north to Chain Lakes and over to Nanton is the quickest (about 15 mins.) if roads are clear and the Calgary traffic isn't heading to/from Fernie (Friday afternoons and Sunday evenings). Otherwise Hiway 2 is just as quick and safer. The difference may be less now that the passing lanes have been added to the stretch between Pincher Creek and Fort Mcleod.
If it is dark I take hi way 2 no matter what time of year. Less wildlife issues.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ferniesnows suggestion is still the way I go. I was working in BC every second weekend and tried every route and even as recent as last weekend I go that way.

Unless I want to stop at Timmies I will go to Blackdiamond and then to Okotoks.

There are quite a few deer and moose on 22. Hwy 2 as mentioned is maybe a little easier to navigate.

Top Bottom