Brute may need a ring job,possibly parting out!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can sombody tell me what it would cost to put new rings in my 650 Brute Force,We been trying to get it going and cant find anything wrong with it,dont have a compresion tester but dosnt feel like there is much pressure and that would explain why it was so low on oil after my last ride but that was the last time she would start.Fuel pump is good,lots of spark(new plugs)carburator dismantled and reassembled.If the rings are gone I may just part ity out depending on what it would cost to have it done!
Thanks for any help in advance!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can sombody tell me what it would cost to put new rings in my 650 Brute Force,We been trying to get it going and cant find anything wrong with it,dont have a compresion tester but dosnt feel like there is much pressure and that would explain why it was so low on oil after my last ride but that was the last time she would start.Fuel pump is good,lots of spark(new plugs)carburator dismantled and reassembled.If the rings are gone I may just part ity out depending on what it would cost to have it done!
Thanks for any help in advance!
catmando!
Will consider any offers to take it off my hands!

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better chance you skipped the timing chain one tooth or broke the key on one timing gear than the rings suddenly going out. IIRC about three hours to replace a woodruff key and/or the lower chain.

If you keep the air filter clean and change the oil more than once every three years on a utility atv, the wheels will fall off before it needs rings.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Better chance you skipped the timing chain one tooth or broke the key on one timing gear than the rings suddenly going out. IIRC about three hours to replace a woodruff key and/or the lower chain.

If you keep the air filter clean and change the oil more than once every three years on a utility atv, the wheels will fall off before it needs rings.

Thanks gary,I will check that out,was kind of strange.no signs just quit starting.

Bandit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 750 brute torn down in the shop right now, (rod bearings and crank gone), if it is just low compression and needs rings it's a pretty easy job. Hardest part is taking all the plastic off to get to the engine.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
i would get a compression tester first,and go from there.

Did it use lot of oil before?,,I didn't notice it when we rode the last time..

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys,that is the plan,anybody got one I can borrow?
catmando!
Im ready if its rings,she is already tore down to the top of the motor

snowtractor

Reaction score
I have a friend who swamped his 650 and it siezed the rings to the piston couldnt even chisle them out not to bad of a job to do get the manual and give it a shot

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Thanks guys,that is the plan,anybody got one I can borrow?
catmando!
Im ready if its rings,she is already tore down to the top of the motor

Ric must have one ,,,or if not i am sure someone here would lend a honest kitty cat like yourself one !!!

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is already a stupidly long thread on this site over the exact same problem. Every atv site that has a Kawi section has a similar threads. Every Kawi and A/C dealer will tell you what the problem is.

Drinking a 28 pack of beer will be produce far most useful information than a compression test will. Seriously!

Ron has my new phone number.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I would honestly take Garry's advice over anyone elses he has never steered anyone wrong yet...but Lyle is a big guy will 28 beer be enough?

Top Bottom