Bringing a bike up from the states???

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well ive been looking around and Harley's seem to be half price down in the states.....I was playing with the idea of buying one off ebay (pref a dealer of some sort). Has anyone on here brought a bike up from the states?? Was it worth it? Is there a lot of red tape involved?

My plan

Save big time all winter (budget is around 9g's),find a bike fly down and ride it up.

I know it can be a bit of a gamble but i can save some serious coin here if i can find a nice softail or dyna with low miles.

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a broker, save yourself alot of hassle.

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a RV dealer in Manitoba that brings up 30 at a time. Right now he is selling Road Kings for 14K.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do they have a web site???

And broker????? I can pay someone to do all the B.S and i can just ride it up trouble free???

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brian or Steve 204-725-0474.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do they have a web site???

And broker????? I can pay someone to do all the B.S and i can just ride it up trouble free???

Hiring a broker is a complete waste of money. Took me all of 15 minutes to do everything involved to bring a personal vehicle. I Even brought over a few commercial vehicles and brokers wanted $2000 for what took me two hours.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hiring a broker is a complete waste of money. Took me all of 15 minutes to do everything involved to bring a personal vehicle. I Even brought over a few commercial vehicles and brokers wanted $2000 for what took me two hours.

Agreed, I have brought up 6 bikes and 6 sleds over the last few years. Not much hassle at all as long as you know all the steps. Like summit889 said, do it.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Montana has no sales tax........ take atrip and do some research, you can do everything yourself, as long as 1 you have the sales invoice faxed to you boarder crossing 72 hrs ahead of time, 2 the vehicle meets requirements( vin #s that are acceptable to the registrar...) you pay gst and a $118.00 RIV fee at the border and have to get an out of province inspection done before registration......no need for a broker....but heed the 72 hr thing, thats the only thing that ever hung me up.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't get charged sales tax from any state on vehicles if it's leaving the country.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
bought my bike from dealer in north carolina, had "Haul Bikes" bring it from NC to sweetgrass for $750, picked up at sweetgrass. Only issue was cdn side border holding me for 2.5 hrs cause they thought i was scamming the price. Saved 6k, not until they called the dealer, and i showed them the bank draft and visa for deposit did they let me roll.

Way cheaper, and seemed the further east and south, the cheaper the bike got.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that held me up was the title. Make sure that when you buy that the current title is in hand. Sometimes repo's don't have the title, when there is a lien on it, the bank or finance agency will have the title and won't release till payment is made, and that can take weeks to months. When you cross at sweetgrass take a look behind the US duty Free to the west. A huge compound full of vehicles that didn't meet requirements to pass into Canada, most just need a title. I was fortuate that dealer ship had just forgot to give it to me and I just didn't look at all the paper, stupid move I know, sad thing was that they mailed it to my home address so I had to go home to get it before I could bring my stuff accross the border. Take the time to make phone calls and completly understand what you need and it's not a big deal really.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its very easy to do brokers are a waste of $$$ u can pay me $1000 bucks for 5 mins work hahaha go to great falls montana and got to big sky harley the guys down there are awesome thats where my next hog is comming from :d:d just make sure all your paper work is in place and big sky harley will do it all for u

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out Cycletrader.com, give you an idea whats for sale down south. You can search for specific models in specific states:) Helps you to find dealers websites.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have brought 3 from Nebaska in last 5 yrs, I belong to the Gold Wing Road Riders Association, they have there own web site with hundreds of bikes for sale,
I find a bike on Ebay or the Gold Wing web site and get other members I know to go look at it,paid for one on ebay with Pay pal thru my visa, that way I am protected in case its junk.
I saved 50% on all the bikes, and go there anyway for our annual Bike ralley in nebraska.and really enjot doing it,just make sure you get a letter from a dealer saying theres no recalls on the bike, and you have the Original title.not just bill of sale written on scrap piece of paper, and send the paperwork 3 days before you show up at Border,I usually have it all sent month before,
have never even had the bikes looked at at Sweetgrass.The sent me out to confirm the VIN? Border gaurds are supposed to do that I think.Rode the first 2 Wings a few yrs each and sold em. The last bike was a Smaller Shadow, dont like that, is for sale at Bike shop in Stony.

Top Bottom