Brake maintenance after lotsa bogging

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When replacing my last set of pads, I had a hell of a time getting the calipers back on because I couldn't compress the cylinder all the way back in. Will I destroy the seals if I clean up those pistons with WD-40 on a regular basis?

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How did you try compress the cylinder? I think mechanics use a vise grip brake clamp of some kind to compress it. On cars anyway, not sure about quads....maybe a mechanic on S&M can tell us???:beer:

I think it should be hard to compress because of the brake oil, just means its working normal, I think.....

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Did you open the fluid resevoir give the fluid somewhere to go? I had the same problem with my back brake once opened the bleeder screw a bit give the fluid somewhere to go

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How did you try compress the cylinder? I think mechanics use a vise grip brake clamp of some kind to compress it. On cars anyway, not sure about quads....maybe a mechanic on S&M can tell us???:beer:

I think it should be hard to compress because of the brake oil, just means its working normal, I think.....

I use a big c-clamp, same one I use on my truck with no isues.

Did you open the fluid resevoir give the fluid somewhere to go? I had the same problem with my back brake once opened the bleeder screw a bit give the fluid somewhere to go

Thanks man, I'll give that a try but I suspect the cylinder is just dirty. Initially, I had no problems compressing the cylinder - it seems to be getting works with time.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to princess auto and for less than 10.00 get a brake calliper spreader works great with dual callipers

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the end it just turns out that the pad on my c-clamp is a little too big - it wasn't quite clearing the caliper which couldn't depress any further. After I figured that out, it worked no problem with the cap still on the fluid resevoir.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have it apart you should check that it it not jamming, yeah you will have to bleed the brakes but lets face it you need the brakes to work every time. Just a good idea to pop out the piston and make sure that it moves freely. JMHO

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
i usually just push the piston back in with my hands, but stiubborn ones get the c-clamp, just use the old brake pad to lay on piston before u clamp, this will ensure ur piston goes back in square. The princess auto caliper spreader also worlks good. Try not to push the pistons back in withh mud and other debis on piston cup, damage to seals will happen.
Once u pull that piston out ur gonna lose fluid too.

Top Bottom