Bobbin through BC

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I just got back from a bike trip through BC. We took 9 days and to complete but made it through with minimal issues.

First off I do not suggest to anyone to do this on a hardtail!! We put on around 2200kms, and it feels lke a lot further riding a hardtail bobber!

For timing reasons we trucked the bikes from Calgary to Kamloops. From there we went over to Cache Creek and then down to Vancouver via the old hwy 1. Great fun hiway or biking! We then went into Vancouver as my riding partner had a meeting downtown. It was HOT and the old air cooled engine didnt really like the stop go traffic and heat but we made it through. From there we went to Horseshoe bay and took the Ferry to Langdale, then through to Earls Cove. This stretch of road is about 80km of the curviest road I have ever seen and being late for the ferry we pushed it hard and it as a blast. Then we went to Saltery bay, rode to Powell River were we took the Ferry over to Comox. Fom Comox we rode to Port Hardy. The next morning at 5:30 we got on the inside passage ferry and rode it for 15hrs to Prince Rupert. From there it was over to Prince George, down to 100 mile house where we swithed to hiway 24 and over to 5 for a it more exciting roads into Kamloops to complete the circle. We only hit about 10km of rain on the entire trip so were pretty lucky.

I would definetaly do this tip again but would have to seriously consider a change in bike to make it more comfortable.

Heres a few pics I tok along the way.

Attachments

• CIMG0207.jpg
    CIMG0207.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 225
  • CIMG0214.jpg
    CIMG0214.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 224
  • CIMG0218.jpg
    CIMG0218.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 228
  • CIMG0232.jpg
    CIMG0232.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 228
  • CIMG0240.jpg
    CIMG0240.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 230
  • CIMG0266.jpg
    CIMG0266.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 223
  • CIMG0313.jpg
    CIMG0313.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 234
  • CIMG0322.jpg
    CIMG0322.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 231

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when you say uncomfortable, the seat springs didn't make enough of a difference on a longer trip?

I think I read somewhere that you had that built. Can you offer me any insight on who did it and perhaps ball park a cost? I want to build something like that next winter, and am beggining compiling ideas now. I'm guessing its based around a 650? Which frame did you use, or did you weld on a hardtail?

Thanks in advance...

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So that was the end of August? Done pizzin' blood yet? hahahahaha

Nothin' looks better than a hardtail........sure hard on the back...legs......azz....insides...on....and....on

Thanks for the pics

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when you say uncomfortable, the seat springs didn't make enough of a difference on a longer trip?

I think I read somewhere that you had that built. Can you offer me any insight on who did it and perhaps ball park a cost? I want to build something like that next winter, and am beggining compiling ideas now. I'm guessing its based around a 650? Which frame did you use, or did you weld on a hardtail?

Thanks in advance...

No the seat springs were not enough for this long a trip. I am not that old a guy and by the 3rd day I had to stop and have a break every 100km or so.

The bike was built by a guy in Calgary (I will pm you his name if I can find it)
It started life as a 76 yamaha xs650, which are getting hard to find due to projects like this one.
It does have the welded on hard tail (again will have to find what make)
Not a whole lot of the original remains. The tank was changed to a sportser style tank with the spout relocated.
The engine had a 750 big bore kit installed with current electronic ignition added. All new wiring, and electronics, hi output coil, heavier clucth, and a lot of one off peices machined for it.

If I can find the other info I will pm you. Also if you would like some more detailed pics let me know and I can probably send you some.

Top Bottom