Blue River B.C. Emergency Phone #'s for Satellite Phones

BLUE JEWEL

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.holysmokeinn.ca
Here is a List of Emergency Phone #'s provided by Blue Jewel / Holy Smoke Inn

If bringing a Satellite phone to Blue River B.C.

RCMP 911

RCMP Clearwater Office 250-674-2237

RCMP Valemount Office 250-566-4466

Helicopter Sled Lift out:

Blue River B.C. 250-673-8389 ( Vancouver Island Helicopters ) ( MW )

Clearwater B.C. 250-674-3600 ( Yellowhead Helicopters )

Valemount B.C. 250-566-4401 ( Yellowhead Helicopters )

RCMP will Dispatch SAR ( Search and Rescue ) If needed

RCMP will Dispatch PEP ( Provincial Emergency Program ) If needed

Blue Jewel will assist with phone calls 250-673-BLUE ( 2583 ) If Battery is going low on Your Satellite Phone.

Last edited:

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, Vancouver Island Helicopters will not help with sled rescues. We had some guys that where staying with us last year that needed a sled recovered and MW would not do it. So no sense in calling them and waisting your money on the call.....

BLUE JEWEL

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.holysmokeinn.ca
Humm.....

Worked out Ok for Our Guest.....

I guess it depends if they are Busy and or have a Helicopter available......

Don't call MW !!.....Call Vancouver Island Helicopters they will do it as long as they are Not busy and have Helicopters on the ground

Last edited:

BLUE JEWEL

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.holysmokeinn.ca
I know last Year some Guest's of the Holy Smoke Inn came upon some Sledders that were Staying at GML.

One Guy had a Extremely BAD broken Leg....

Our Guest called Me from His Satellite phone and gave Me the GPS Location .

I Myself called MW Establishment and had a Helicopter dispatched to the Emergency

MW Himself then gave the " OK " to go ahead and fly the Patient straight to Kamloops.

He needed Surgery right away !

So like I said these are " Emergency " Phone #'s

BLUE JEWEL

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.holysmokeinn.ca
I will add 1 more thing....

If it is to Dangerous of a Area for a Helicopter to land they may wait until it is Safe to do so.

Every situation is different so I thought You ALL would like to see Your Options.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
for any emergengy needing a heli just call 911 and they will call PEP or BC ambulance and they will get the heli dispachted

BLUE JEWEL

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.holysmokeinn.ca
Here is a List of Emergency Phone #'s provided by Blue Jewel / Holy Smoke Inn

If bringing a Satellite phone to Blue River B.C.

RCMP 911

RCMP Clearwater Office 250-674-2237

RCMP Valemount Office 250-566-4466

Helicopter Sled Lift out:

Blue River B.C. 250-673-8389 ( Vancouver Island Helicopters ) ( MW )

Clearwater B.C. 250-674-3600 ( Yellowhead Helicopters )

Valemount B.C. 250-566-4401 ( Yellowhead Helicopters )

RCMP will Dispatch SAR ( Search and Rescue ) If needed

RCMP will Dispatch PEP ( Provincial Emergency Program ) If needed

Blue Jewel will assist with phone calls 250-673-BLUE ( 2583 ) If Battery is going low on Your Satellite Phone.
Hellooooo again from Blue River !!

It was brought to My attention that CMH ( Canadian Mountain Holidays ) may NOT do lifting out Sleds....

Soooo if calling Valemount for a Helicopter please call ....

Yellowhead Helicopters 250-566-4401

Blue River Thanks You ALL for Your Support !!

We are ALL looking forward to seeing everyone again !

Yahooooooo going Sledding in BLUE !

highmark x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know last Year some Guest's of the Holy Smoke Inn came upon some Sledders that were Staying at GML.

One Guy had a Extremely BAD broken Leg....

Our Guest called Me from His Satellite phone and gave Me the GPS Location .

I Myself called MW Establishment and had a Helicopter dispatched to the Emergency

MW Himself then gave the " OK " to go ahead and fly the Patient straight to Kamloops.

He needed Surgery right away !

So like I said these are " Emergency " Phone #'s

That is correct cause our group was on the hill when the chopper came and got the guy. :d:beer::beer:

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a question how much does a heli lift in the valemount Blue river area usually cost?

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, Vancouver Island Helicopters will not help with sled rescues. We had some guys that where staying with us last year that needed a sled recovered and MW would not do it. So no sense in calling them and waisting your money on the call.....

We need a seld recovered from in feb 2009 well we were in blue river, We phoned Vancouver Island Helicopters and the told us to take a hike and find some one. VIH was not even that busy that day the operator told us the pilots just did not want to go out.

So we phoned Yellowhead Helicopters and they came out, they were very friendly to deal with did a great job getting the machine out.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a question how much does a heli lift in the valemount Blue river area usually cost?

Yellowhead charges around $1000 hour for seld recovery.

If you ever need to get them out make sure you have the GPS location and the sled is in a wide opened area were they can land and hook up.

highlandrider

Reaction score
for any emergengy needing a heli just call 911 and they will call PEP or BC ambulance and they will get the heli dispachted

Just remember, only call 911 from a Landline or cellphone, NOT a sat phone, otherwise you get 911 dispatch someplace in Ontario or eastern States. The local RCMP will have a list of local helicopter companies and as long as it is an emergency PEP, BC Ambulance or Alberta Health will foot the bill. Do not call the helicopter companies directly for an emergency because they have to have medics on board and the medics have to be dispatched from their call center, (911 dispatch).

Last year I made the call for the medivac to Patti at Blue Jewel as it was the only local number I knew and only had enough battery life for one call. Thanks to Patti for taking care of the rest. Now if riding someplace new I will get the local emergency numbers before heading out.

As for getting a dead sled out, call the helicopter company directly with credit card in hand. The cost per hour for a 206, (will lift most sleds, depending on how far the helicopter has to travel) is $1000+ an hour. For a Astar or 407 is $2000+ an hour. Give accurate GPS co-ordinates and the pilot should be able to give you a rough price. These are average prices and sometimes the helicopter might be working in the area and could give you a break on the lift out.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HAD A FRIEND KILL IN AVY, VANCOUVER ILAND HELLI WAS A GREAT HELP, TOOK US BACK UP TO SHOW WERE HAPPEN, TOOK COPS UP AND THEN BROUGHT OUT OUR FRIEND. LET US STAY IN THEIR OFFICE, GAVE COFFEE FOOD AND SUPPORT THE HOLE TIME WE WERE THERE. gARY AND BOYS WERE GREAT

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also heard if they don't have to land ..Meaning you have some one on the ground to hook up when they long line, it is cheaper than if they land. The quicker the better! We watched a Bell 407 bring three sleds out of a valley and not land once it was gone in a 1/2 hr three way split much cheaper...lol

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember, only call 911 from a Landline or cellphone, NOT a sat phone, otherwise you get 911 dispatch someplace in Ontario or eastern States. The local RCMP will have a list of local helicopter companies and as long as it is an emergency PEP, BC Ambulance or Alberta Health will foot the bill. Do not call the helicopter companies directly for an emergency because they have to have medics on board and the medics have to be dispatched from their call center, (911 dispatch).

Last year I made the call for the medivac to Patti at Blue Jewel as it was the only local number I knew and only had enough battery life for one call. Thanks to Patti for taking care of the rest. Now if riding someplace new I will get the local emergency numbers before heading out.

As for getting a dead sled out, call the helicopter company directly with credit card in hand. The cost per hour for a 206, (will lift most sleds, depending on how far the helicopter has to travel) is $1000+ an hour. For a Astar or 407 is $2000+ an hour. Give accurate GPS co-ordinates and the pilot should be able to give you a rough price. These are average prices and sometimes the helicopter might be working in the area and could give you a break on the lift out.

How long does it usually take for a picup of a dead sled. an hour hour and a half?

Top Bottom