Blown belt

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Website
www.adrenalinejunkiesinc.ca
Just wondering if anybody has had any problems with pistons failing after blowing a belt. i have a M8 with a BD pump gas turbo running at ten pounds boost and i blew a belt under full boost. Heard a rumor that they will stretch the pistons and take the motor out after the motor goes from ful load to no load under boost. it revved to 9400 RPM when it blew

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stretching pistons?? Something bearing related (rod or piston pin?) would fail IMO before the pistons "stretched". Never ever heard of this before, if its true that's a new one, maybe the pin bosses stretch from MOI? Full load to no load can result in twisted crank out of the phase or other parts failing (like rod bearing) that could send a piston through the cylinder head, 9400 rpm not that high (not like 15,000), depends on how hard of a hit the motor took when the belt let go.

Watched my buddy twist the 1515 crank out of phase going from no load to full load.

Pull the exhaust or head and have a look, if the pistons stretched you will know with a visual look or a deck measurement.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Website
www.adrenalinejunkiesinc.ca
im going to run it tomorrow. head out to mcbride and giver a go and c what happens. i dont think its possiblr to throw an arctic cat crankshaft out of time because they are splined. not just pressed and indexed. i guess time will tell and i will keep it updated if i send a piston through the head tomorrow lol

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 weekends to the the hills at 12psi boost same belt if your blowing belts its the clutching set up not because your running a turbo lol. Clutching on turbos build less heat because they dont need to back shift as much.

Top Bottom