Bleeding Brakes on an Xm??? Resevoir Snapped off :(

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the handlebars smoled a tree this weekend, tearing the reservoir off of the handle assembly.... I got a new one on the order, but need to know whats all entailed in bleeding the calipers....????

Do i need to take the Rotor cover off to get to the bleed screw????? What type of Fluid should I use???

Also has anyone else noticed how close the rotor is to the cover??? The top half seems to have a lot of clearance, but the bottom half almost seems to be touching.... No dents or dings in the cover so I haven't been beating it or kicking it hard, just seems like the cover is crooked or something??

Thanks all.... BTW ride in Revy was EPIC this family day weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will have pics to come soon!!!!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also busted off my reservoir. Ordered in mid December and still waiting for new to arrive.

Weird... I ordered mine Tuesday and will be here Friday.... Might want to check to see if the order was made...... Just saying...

Hope your luck gets better...

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to wait and let someone with a xm answer I did the same to a 08 Xp (I'm assuming they are still the same) you just switch the reservoir and I grabbed a small thing of brake fluid from dealer and you bleed it right above the brake cover(where the brake line attaches) easy took 5 min. same as a car pump brake and hold, open bleeder let out air, close, release brake and pump again, hold, open bleeder, let out air, close release brake......................... repeat till brake feels firm and fluid out of bleeder doesnt have air.(it takes quite a few times if you sucked in alot of air) Also make sure to keep refilling the brake reservoir as you bleed so you dont pump more air down. I leave the lid off bleeding is done fill to line put lid on.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also busted off my reservoir. Ordered in mid December and still waiting for new to arrive.

Just double checked with dealer and mine is getting shipped from vancouver warehouse..... don't know if that makes a difference on backorders but mine should be here tomorrow....
Thanks flabajabba for the tips!!

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to wait and let someone with a xm answer I did the same to a 08 Xp (I'm assuming they are still the same) you just switch the reservoir and I grabbed a small thing of brake fluid from dealer and you bleed it right above the brake cover(where the brake line attaches) easy took 5 min. same as a car pump brake and hold, open bleeder let out air, close, release brake and pump again, hold, open bleeder, let out air, close release brake......................... repeat till brake feels firm and fluid out of bleeder doesnt have air.(it takes quite a few times if you sucked in alot of air) Also make sure to keep refilling the brake reservoir as you bleed so you dont pump more air down. I leave the lid off bleeding is done fill to line put lid on.

No worries that the fluid is exposed to a lot of air in this procedure (water absorption)?

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No worries that the fluid is exposed to a lot of air in this procedure (water absorption)?

I get what your saying if your worried about it once the air is out you could just pump a whole bunch of fluid out till you think its clean.(brake fluid is cheap):beer:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the XM brakes bleed super easy. Sometimes I've worked at it for hours and have had to use a tube into fresh fluid. Pita. Good luck

Ya I forgot to add that part^ Just because it doesnt work right away keep at it sometimes it takes alot of pumping. For stuborn ones I've filled the reservoir,left the cap off and opened the bleeder and went for a beer or two and come back to it if the pump-open-close thing doesnt get you anywhere right away.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

your going to have to have the cover or the brake fluid container top off for a long time in a humid atmosphere, your not going to have any problem for an hour or so.

biggist problem is unsealed container or resevoir with seal problems.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another trick I picked up from the street bike days is to put the parking brake on and leave it over night / tap it with a wrench.. the air bubbles will work their way up to the res ..

in case yours is being stubborn!

The reverse flush works too .. get a huge syringe (drug stores) and a clear tube, attach to the bleeder nipple and shove fluid back up through the system .. dont make a mess on the other end !

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reservoir just came in... Picked up and will install tomorrow... Will let you all know how it goes!!!!!!!! Thanks for the tips guys!!!!!!!!!! S and M comes through once again!!!!

Maxwell Since i have your attention now have u noticed the Brake cover really close to the rotor on the lower half???

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the tree incident, but have you uploaded any pic's? I'm heading to Revy mid March.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the tree incident, but have you uploaded any pic's? I'm heading to Revy mid March.

YA.. I was planning on it if the G***mn F****n memory card wasn't corrupted..... only got a few pics and they aren't really all that great........ Gonna try to fix it but not looking good... Sad Panda....

Top Bottom