Big slide on fording Pass

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Made me sick:eek:,out ran it. the fracture looked to be 70+thic but with all this wind and no snow the wind loading was crazy!and really bad suger under new snowI went up the left side of first pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 124

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where exactly was the slide.On the BC side going left at the "T" towards Elkford. We were just over there two weeks agao but went right at the "T".

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where exactly was the slide.On the BC side going left at the "T" towards Elkford. We were just over there two weeks agao but went right at the "T".

right on top of fording pass,facing west it would be to the right and from the first pic thats the border mountain elkford would be left and down

Fisher

Reaction score
Carbon, do you know if the hill you were climbing was on the BC or Alberta side of the border? Please note that the Alberta side of the Fording Pass is within Don Getty Park, and sledding is restricted to the trail. If people keep going off the trail and climbing the hills, it is only a matter of time until the Alberta Government closes off access to the Fording Pass. That would be a huge loss!!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics. I like riding there but it sure is avy prone!

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carbon, do you know if the hill you were climbing was on the BC or Alberta side of the border? Please note that the Alberta side of the Fording Pass is within Don Getty Park, and sledding is restricted to the trail. If people keep going off the trail and climbing the hills, it is only a matter of time until the Alberta Government closes off access to the Fording Pass. That would be a huge loss!!

BC all good:)

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What day did it slide, Monday??

We rode out there (in the meadows on the BC side) on Sunday and it got dumped on while we were there, so much that our tracks were gone by the time we turned around and came back out at the end of the day. It doesn't surprise me that it slide, so much fresh out there last week.

That exact same slope has actually came down before this winter too, I got a pic at home I'll post tonight. I think it was almost a month ago now though. It is so rocky on the top of the pass it's never a great climb anyways. Did you make it down the other side and up into the meadows? LOTS of snow in there!!!

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What day did it slide, Monday??

We rode out there (in the meadows on the BC side) on Sunday and it got dumped on while we were there, so much that our tracks were gone by the time we turned around and came back out at the end of the day. It doesn't surprise me that it slide, so much fresh out there last week.

That exact same slope has actually came down before this winter too, I got a pic at home I'll post tonight. I think it was almost a month ago now though. It is so rocky on the top of the pass it's never a great climb anyways. Did you make it down the other side and up into the meadows? LOTS of snow in there!!!

yeah monday,thats why I went out to I saw the radar all looked good,but major wind loading,meadows and lake area good.first and last ride in ab think'in,just got back from golden much better!!!!!!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here are pics of the other avy. these were taken on jan 18th, and you can tell the slide certainly took place a few days before this cause of how its a bit weathered. and, a couple other pics from the same day....

Attachments

• P1180047edit.JPG
    P1180047edit.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 103
  • P1180048edit.JPG
    P1180048edit.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 118
  • P1180032edit.JPG
    P1180032edit.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 104
  • P1180031edit.JPG
    P1180031edit.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 102

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fording hill is on the Alberta side.:nono:

geeee's:eek: by my mapping I thought it was at least on the boarder bc side,didn't see any signage around sorry don't want to wreck the area,guess it should be marked better eh! on the pass there pretty spares my bad! better just keep to golden/revy:d

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah the border runs right across the top of the mountain. The eastern and most of the southern slope are on the alberta side. Just FYI.:beer:

Top Bottom