Best used 4x4 quad

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks. I was not looking for a definitive answer saying brand X is the best just input from people on the quads they owned. I will probably buy a Can-Am. As I said I am on a budget $10,000 on the high end of what I want to spend if $ were no object I would buy Can-Am 1000 but it is so a couple year old Outlander/Renagade 800 or a Grizz 700. I guess my question should have been are Can-Am's reliable? And from what people are saying it sounds like they are. In the end it will probably come down to finding one with low Km's in good shape for the right price. Also it sounds like EPS would be a good option on a large 4x4.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trashy, speaks some truth there. with a clutch kit you can stay out of low more than stock but what works even better is a primary clutch like the cvtech or qsc... i hardly drive in low unless im creeping along.. riding in low will decrease your cvt temperature by 20 degrees.. but only at crawling speed... what relly helps here is the stm roller secondary.. keeps your bike in perfect shiftup or shift down rpm and its faster shift then stock.. that really helps too, so doing both clutchs would be the idea way to go.............i think Dave has a qsc primary.. not sure if he has the secondary thou?

i put 27 inch tires on my stock grizzly 700... that's only 2 inches bigger... truth be told you should do a clutch kit at that point too i can feel the difference...and in mud i should be throwing it in low everytime... but for me i like it because it can be both fun and a good hunting partner... i have never riden a can am... but i feel next to a Honda the Yamaha is the most relieable... now if honda had a locking front diff I would have no problem owning a foreman 500... thats my type of riding though... so that probably explain a lot and yes my can am buddies all bug me for going around the nasty waste deep stuff... if i can i take the easy route everytime... black skeg riding is at time necessary but i don't find it fun! If you like that... IMHOP nothing can do it the way a can am can!

Last edited:

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks. I was not looking for a definitive answer saying brand X is the best just input from people on the quads they owned. I will probably buy a Can-Am. As I said I am on a budget $10,000 on the high end of what I want to spend if $ were no object I would buy Can-Am 1000 but it is so a couple year old Outlander/Renagade 800 or a Grizz 700. I guess my question should have been are Can-Am's reliable? And from what people are saying it sounds like they are. In the end it will probably come down to finding one with low Km's in good shape for the right price. Also it sounds like EPS would be a good option on a large 4x4.

I was in your same spot... found a lot more very nice clean grizzly's... they for 150 bucks a month Peace River Yamaha hooked me up with a new one... too many bikes of any make in Alberta have sucked in too much silty creek water and you could never really tell... i went new for the peace of mind... sorry to stress you out... unless you know the guy or you can just see it's show room clean... i'd be very cautious about buying used...

guys/gals please help out here... but other then me i dont know anyone who hasn't swamped their machines and done the home made 6 to 8 oil changes and figured they would be all good????

Anyhow, im no mechanic so i hope someone on here has a better opinion for you... another good option is tell the buyer to meet you at dealer and have them inspect it...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in your same spot... found a lot more very nice clean grizzly's... they for 150 bucks a month Peace River Yamaha hooked me up with a new one... too many bikes of any make in Alberta have sucked in too much silty creek water and you could never really tell... i went new for the peace of mind... sorry to stress you out... unless you know the guy or you can just see it's show room clean... i'd be very cautious about buying used...

guys/gals please help out here... but other then me i dont know anyone who hasn't swamped their machines and done the home made 6 to 8 oil changes and figured they would be all good????

Anyhow, im no mechanic so i hope someone on here has a better opinion for you... another good option is tell the buyer to meet you at dealer and have them inspect it...
Snorkels from new....last 3 or 4 quads. Last machine I drowned was a 2002 AC400i. (sorry if anyone on here has that one)

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snorkels from new....last 3 or 4 quads. Last machine I drowned was a 2002 AC400i. (sorry if anyone on here has that one)
There is Nothing like looking at a used quad with 3 sewer pipes sticking out of it. It just Screams buy me...lol Yeah Im with you somethingnuw,, Go buy some thing new....lol On a personal note I don't like the direction new quads have taken. I rather have a light weight HO 525 4x4 quad than a 1000lbs lumber wagon with no roll cage landing on me when it flips over. KTM should build a 4x4 sport quad....

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would KTM do to lighten it up ? There is a huge difference once you add front diff,axles ,cvs winch extra frame 4x4 running gear etc..
They might come in at 50 lbs lighter....lol Say real world....850 lbs apx....
Can`t compare to a sport quad ! My old Rene would beat a stock raptor on pavement all day long......So i don`t think the new ones lack performance at all.
If a 1000 lb wagon or a 800 lbktm munch your noggin ,its gonna hurt either way...........

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would KTM do to lighten it up ? There is a huge difference once you add front diff,axles ,cvs winch extra frame 4x4 running gear etc..
They might come in at 50 lbs lighter....lol Say real world....850 lbs apx....
Can`t compare to a sport quad ! My old Rene would beat a stock raptor on pavement all day long......So i don`t think the new ones lack performance at all.
If a 1000 lb wagon or a 800 lbktm munch your noggin ,its gonna hurt either way...........
I'm sure they could get em down to 500lbs some how. How much does a old big bear 350 weight in at? Maybe not,,, guess that's why I ride a 2wheeler most the time. My450 race bike will leave a renegade in the dust....(not that they are slow,,just heavy)

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is Nothing like looking at a used quad with 3 sewer pipes sticking out of it. It just Screams buy me...lol Yeah Im with you somethingnuw,, Go buy some thing new....lol On a personal note I don't like the direction new quads have taken. I rather have a light weight HO 525 4x4 quad than a 1000lbs lumber wagon with no roll cage landing on me when it flips over. KTM should build a 4x4 sport quad....
The snorkels are not for resale...they are for longevity for me. Snorks can be removed...and any new owners of my old machines will appreciate that the motor has never been wet.

I'm sure they could get em down to 500lbs some how. How much does a old big bear 350 weight in at? Maybe not,,, guess that's why I ride a 2wheeler most the time. My450 race bike will leave a renegade in the dust....(not that they are slow,,just heavy)
Your 2wd sporty has a place....and it's not where the Renegade's place is. Apples and oranges dude.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The snorkels are not for resale...they are for longevity for me. Snorks can be removed...and any new owners of my old machines will appreciate that the motor has never been wet.

Your 2wd sporty has a place....and it's not where the Renegade's place is. Apples and oranges dude.
I was talking 2wheel dirt bike. 2wheel drive quads suck for the most part. Here is where im coming from; Mountain sleds over the past 15years have got more HP and lighter. due to customer demand. Quads have got more hp and heavier. Guess that's what people want? it is what it is. But you can't tell me there is no weight to be lost on these new super heavy lumber wagons they are calling quads....

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking 2wheel dirt bike. 2wheel drive quads suck for the most part. Here is where im coming from; Mountain sleds over the past 15years have got more HP and lighter. due to customer demand. Quads have got more hp and heavier. Guess that's what people want? it is what it is. But you can't tell me there is no weight to be lost on these new super heavy lumber wagons they are calling quads....
Gotta have some beef or they tear apart. I guess the answer would be titanium frames and such, but then your costs are going to be just stupid. Have you personally tried a big bore 4x4 like a Ren, Outty, or XP 850? They don't feel heavy and they really don't wear on ya after many hours.....I'd rather spend all day on one of those than a Big bear or Honda weighing half as much.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta have some beef or they tear apart. I guess the answer would be titanium frames and such, but then your costs are going to be just stupid. Have you personally tried a big bore 4x4 like a Ren, Outty, or XP 850? They don't feel heavy and they really don't wear on ya after many hours.....I'd rather spend all day on one of those than a Big bear or Honda weighing half as much.
Yeah I had a 800renagade. have a 550 Polaris Xp now. I barely ever ride it tho. They are great till you crash. Im sitting hear with a broken arm from a crash I took on my MX bike on Canada day. If I took the same spill on a renegade I'd be dead....

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well you make then lighter and they bend easier.. people already complaining with the power we have that the frames are bending like pretels! lol .... now make the parts lighter and stronger and the price becomes out of reach to buy one.. look at the sxs market.. getting more money every year... I mean sure the racing industry is the no . 1 best feedback to the manufacturer... why has Can-am set the industry up side down in 07 with the renegade.. it was like jumping in the furture... when they came out.. the set the new standard of where quads where going .. well at least for can-am... Polaris has always pumped money into there sxs programs in the pro ranks and ams too and it shows in there product.. can am, being a late comer has to play catch up most of the time... not so with the quads... now popo is finally seeing that quads are important too with there fisrt release of the 850 scrambler.. and it will get better in the years, just like can-am did... lol... anyways off topic a bit here! lol but it would be nice,,,, just that you wont see it in a 4 x 4 quad... that the weight will go down extensively.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well you make then lighter and they bend easier.. people already complaining with the power we have that the frames are bending like pretels! lol .... now make the parts lighter and stronger and the price becomes out of reach to buy one.. look at the sxs market.. getting more money every year... I mean sure the racing industry is the no . 1 best feedback to the manufacturer... why has Can-am set the industry up side down in 07 with the renegade.. it was like jumping in the furture... when they came out.. the set the new standard of where quads where going .. well at least for can-am... Polaris has always pumped money into there sxs programs in the pro ranks and ams too and it shows in there product.. can am, being a late comer has to play catch up most of the time... not so with the quads... now popo is finally seeing that quads are important too with there fisrt release of the 850 scrambler.. and it will get better in the years, just like can-am did... lol... anyways off topic a bit here! lol but it would be nice,,,, just that you wont see it in a 4 x 4 quad... that the weight will go down extensively.

Probably not. That's why I think side by sides are a better way to go. Then at least you have a roll cage.

Top Bottom