Best helmet setup?

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im new to deep power mountain riding, i've mostly done trail riding etc........ the helmet I have for sleding is your typical Modular style with heated visor...........without plugging the visor in , it freezes up easy........

I want to get the "Motocross" style helmet with goggles and wondering what to get..............
are these helmets typically the same as what you would wear on your quad in the summer but with add ons for winter riding.?

What is the best goggle setup? Im assuming a double lens?
do anyone use the velcro type where you can pull the goggles off on one side and let them hang? Is this the way to go?

I do have a motorcross style helment for quading and wondering if I need to buy another for sledding or just add something to it for my mouth area? and then buy some winter goggles for it?

Cheers

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The helmet should be good just get a balaclava, a thin one and a thicker one, gogles with the velcro works the best, 95% of the guys I see go with this set up as your talking, chow

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The velcro things you're talking about are called quickstraps. I use them and they are great and all. I like them EXCEPT for one thing. If you buy different brands of goggles. Some will not fit on properly because the straps are too long or too short, etc.. I have had this problem. And I have run out of adjustment. I've also moved my pads a couple times. It's becoming more of a pain in the azz. If you are going to go with this setup, buy many pairs of goggles at once of the same brand and quickstrap setup (i.e. different color lenses for different lighting conditions.)

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The helmet should be good just get a balaclava, a thin one and a thicker one, gogles with the velcro works the best, 95% of the guys I see go with this set up as your talking, chow

Is there any issues of the goggles fogging up? is there a mouth piece that comes with the goggles that prevents fogging or does most just pull off the goggles when they stop? the same as someone pulling up their visor on the other type of helmets when they stop.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im new to deep power mountain riding, i've mostly done trail riding etc........ the helmet I have for sleding is your typical Modular style with heated visor...........without plugging the visor in , it freezes up easy........

I want to get the "Motocross" style helmet with goggles and wondering what to get..............
are these helmets typically the same as what you would wear on your quad in the summer but with add ons for winter riding.?

What is the best goggle setup? Im assuming a double lens?
do anyone use the velcro type where you can pull the goggles off on one side and let them hang? Is this the way to go?

I do have a motorcross style helment for quading and wondering if I need to buy another for sledding or just add something to it for my mouth area? and then buy some winter goggles for it?

Cheers
you can get a nose thing for most hemets and dont get double lense for powder riding they get snow in between them and then you cant see just get anti fog, i prefer scott

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what blast off said. also you can get a breath deflector that directes your breath down and away from your goodles. I find the Smith Goggles with quick straps work best for me. You will have to play around with different helmet and goggle combos to find what works for you.

spike7ss

Reaction score
Hey Glenn! Youve seen my helmet, I use it in the summer for quadding and now for sledding. Way better than my old snowmobile helmet, alot lighter too. I was using a cheap genaric balaclava but found it would roll up and my neck would get cold. Went and got a Klim one now.

The goggles I use are great for all year round. So far havent had them fog up once. They are double lense. As well have the nose piece which is more to keep snow and wind off of your face. They are made by Scott and are the snow series lenses.

The thing with goggles in the winter, is you have to take them off when you stop, that way they dont fog up, which is why the quickstraps are nice, you just unvelcro off and do up the velcro when your ready to go.

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Glenn! Youve seen my helmet, I use it in the summer for quadding and now for sledding. Way better than my old snowmobile helmet, alot lighter too. I was using a cheap genaric balaclava but found it would roll up and my neck would get cold. Went and got a Klim one now.

The goggles I use are great for all year round. So far havent had them fog up once. They are double lense. As well have the nose piece which is more to keep snow and wind off of your face. They are made by Scott and are the snow series lenses.

The thing with goggles in the winter, is you have to take them off when you stop, that way they dont fog up, which is why the quickstraps are nice, you just unvelcro off and do up the velcro when your ready to go.

So the nose piece is part of the goggles? I will go out tommorrow and look at some goggles...............did you get yours at a sled dealer I assume.........there are also ski shops around too, but I doubt they carry the same goggles.......

thanks

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the mouth/nose piece is from a snowmobile dealer i paid apporx. $15.00 it sticks on with velcro to the inside of the helmet.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the nose piece is part of the goggles? I will go out tommorrow and look at some goggles...............did you get yours at a sled dealer I assume.........there are also ski shops around too, but I doubt they carry the same goggles.......

thanks

some goggle makes come with a nose sheild which keeps the warm air off your goggles

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blue is a good all around tint. Not as good as yellow for those flat light days. Not as good as dark grey for those Bright sunny days not as good as clear for night riding.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I use a full face with an electric visor and no breath deflector....It is not as cool as an MX style but i'm not going for a fashion statement. My head and face is never cold it is actually hot sometimes I have to crack the visor cause it is so air tight and I never have a fog problem in any temp...unless your stopped and talking with it up it will ice up but 2 minutes with the machine running and it's clear

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we also use the full face set-up with a heated visor never cold and never have to worry about snow getting in the wrong places

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are the goggles I have. The nose piece is an accessory that is removable. As well as the upper ventalation cover.

RockyMountainSnowmobile.com - Scott 89Xi Turbo Speed Strap Snow goggle

I picked these goggles up today along with a good balacalava with a breath deflector in it.......I got the one with the brownish color lens, there was not one with a blue lens so I picked up just the blue lens and replaced the lens in it........

I will carry the other lens with me and change it depending on the conditions.........

thanks everyone

Top Bottom