Belt adjustment wacky.

Thedoityouselfguy

Reaction score
My belt was riding low in my secondary.....below the top edge by about a couple mils. Popped spacers in and the belt rides higher ( maybe just a hair above the pulley) but was squaking at idle. Too tight now........what gives? I thought the belt needs to run slightly above the pulley for optimum performance? Bearings are good...do I have a crappy short belt or something?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My belt was riding low in my secondary.....below the top edge by about a couple mils. Popped spacers in and the belt rides higher ( maybe just a hair above the pulley) but was squaking at idle. Too tight now........what gives? I thought the belt needs to run slightly above the pulley for optimum performance? Bearings are good...do I have a crappy short belt or something?

there are slight inconsistency in belt lengths. you may have to take a shim out. I little squawking at idle isn't all that bad as long as it doesn't creep. The other thing that you might want to take into concideration is that the shims are of different thickness and you may have to try different combinations to get the desired belt deflection.

Thedoityouselfguy

Reaction score
I just find it strange that optimal performance is when the belt rides above te secondary slightly.....mine is still ridin lower and it's at max tension. What brand of belts have you guys had good luck with on your turbo units?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just find it strange that optimal performance is when the belt rides above te secondary slightly.....mine is still ridin lower and it's at max tension. What brand of belts have you guys had good luck with on your turbo units?

I ride a Cat so I don't think I would be much help to you in telling you what belt I use.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use OEM yamaha belts, they last well and are of good quality

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Yamaha belts only, they are a awsome belt and reasonable in price in comparison to Doo belt.
As Pipes mentioned in his post the shim are of different thicknesses plus you can purchase from Yamaha additional shims of different thicknesses to get the proper belt deflection. I had the same problem, the belt rode too low in the secondary and when i got it to its proper height approx. 1/8" above pulley, it would sing a tune at idle. Once you get it setup(shimed properly) it will never need to be done again. Its acceptable to have a small amount of squeel when the belt is new, till its broke in at idle but the machine should not move or creep.

Top Bottom