BC Side by Side trip - Sept long - McBride & Valemount

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So we went to BC for a ride on the Rzr 1000 XP.

I would like to thank bbtoys and heyjude for there hospitality at there B&B, Mountainhaven B&B and for showing us around.

McBride - BBToys showed us around on Saturday and Sunday. We went up to Lucille on Saturday, staging on Dore road. Checked out the Cabin with Barry for Garbage then headed back down dore river road to the West Twin Provincial park hiking area, walked across the bridge and checked it out. Then back. That was a good ride. Then on Sunday we headed to Crescent Spur, down loos road. First stopped and looked at 2 waterfalls then headed down the 501 trail. Not a bad ride at all.

IMG_7143.jpg
Barry and Lisa at Dore Staging area

IMG_7146.jpg
Lisa and I at Dore Staging area

IMG_7150.JPG
At Lucille Cabin, Barry grabbing garbage

P8310221.jpg
Staging Area at Loos Road

P8310229.jpg
Lisa at waterfall through rocks

P8310232.jpg
Vegatation

P8310236.jpg
Waterfall

P8310240.jpg
501 Trail

Last edited:
  • Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
McBride Peak - Took up the Toyota Tundra. The road is steep with several switchbacks, so 4WD is recommended. Visitors are reminded to use their gears when descending, to avoid burning out the brakes. Should you choose to hike, from the base it is 5.5 km to the Halfway Cabin, another 5.5 km to the top.

P8310245.JPG

P8310246.JPG

P8310247.JPG

P8310249.JPG
You can see both Lucille and Bell
P8310252.JPG

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Valemount - Canoe Mountain & Power-line

Canoe mountain trail was a bit tough to locate as its not marked, ended up parking about 1 km away and riding down the trial just east of the highway. This hooked up with this trail going up which is quite a trail, goes up for a long way and has various sizes of rocks. This was good with the side by side going up and down, grade braking and power steering would be a must. We got to the top and it was a blizzard and Lisa said it was like the moon up there. Seen one creature the entire weekend.

P9010254.jpg
Lisa on Canoe Mountain trail

P9010255.JPG
Canoe Mountain

P9010256.JPG
Canoe Mountain

P9010258.JPG
Canoe Mountain Trail
P9010260.jpg
Marmot watching us, is a Marmot?

P9010267.JPG
Tral

P9010280.jpg
Creek on trail

P9010281.jpg
Creek on trail

Last edited:

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quadding the Mcbride area is on my list of places to go next summer hopefully. Looks like it was a good trip other than a little damp.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like quadding up there. Not very technical but the scenery can't be beat. Better when the sun is shining and there are no clouds.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On your next trip to McBride,take a look at the back door to the Renshaw. I did not go all the way there, because I did not know about this trip in 2005 when I was up there. 11 +- kms before you get to McBride you will cross the Holmes River, turn right /North, before the bridge, short way in is a small camping area.

Bruce.

Attachments

• Holmes-Chalco River area BC..jpg
    Holmes-Chalco River area BC..jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 462
  • Holmes-Chalco River area BC. 2.JPG
    Holmes-Chalco River area BC. 2.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 467

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
Great pics! we have quadded up canoe mntn. a couple times in the past couple years, but never took enough pics, and never made to Mcbride. on one trip up just past the high voltage lines we came around the corner to a grizzly on the trail. The better half panicked, hit the brakes and spun around, but I passed her and headed toward it, which spooked it enough to send it down a bank into the trees.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pics Ron! AB Ranger, i tried the backway to Renshaw last summer at 16km on the Holmes and it is Willow whip central!!! Basically unrideable! Hotrod and another buddy Darrel were not happy we pushed 10km of bush before we turned back. But we also hit Cresent Spur and Belle and Horsey and had great scenic rides! Higgins.

Last edited:

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pics Ron! AB Ranger, i tried the backway to Renshaw last summer at 16km on the Holmes and it is Willow whip central!!! Basically unrideable! Hotrod and another buddy Darrel were not happy we pushed 10km of bush before we turned back. But we also hit Cresent Spur and Belle and Horsey and had great scenic rides! Higgins.

I can feel your pain, 2 of us went up this trail in July 2005 and the willows were over the trail then, This part of the trail is along the Chalco Creek, the Holmes River turns East at the first bridge. Did you go past the large water hole in the middle of the trail? We made it past on the way North but on the way back South we were in a hurry to get back,and with the over trees did not see the hole in time, and yes I hit it.Attached is three pix of me at the hole,the forth pix is where the trail x the Chalco Creek to the west of the trail?? or maybe continues to the North??. but was our turn around point, was a good ride.

Bruce.

Attachments

• H-C 1.jpg
    H-C 1.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 356
  • H-C 2.jpg
    H-C 2.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 356
  • H-C 3.jpg
    H-C 3.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 333
  • H-C 4.jpg
    H-C 4.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 347

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice pics Ron, thanks for posting them! May have to do that next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Barry said if we stayed on this loos road for about 1/2 hr longer we would see the back side of Renshaw.

Hi Mr Admin, can you give me some help finding this loos road?? (GPS stuff). Pictures are GREAT but with out Geotags the are just Great Pictures..

Bruce.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bruce, I can post one. My camera logs all gps coordinates to all the pics, I'll see if I can post with them in the pics

Is this what your camera does, I found this Great PIx, From Reg Faulkner, taken in the (Box Canyon Trail), Cardinal River/Falls Area, South of the Cadomin Area, AB.

Bruce.

Attachments

• Reg Faulkner Pix.jpg
    Reg Faulkner Pix.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 291
Top Bottom