Baofeng Dual Channel Info

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why Sub Channels are Silly

Gotta disagree with you there Dave. They may not be secure, but just not listening to 10 other guys is worth it. If I hear my mike go off, I stop and listen and respond, as I am pretty sure its my group since we use sub-channels. Picking say Channel 4 or whatever else, you are going to hear chatter all day long. Doesn't make sense. I agree not to give your credit card info over the channel......

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Gotta disagree with you there Dave. They may not be secure, but just not listening to 10 other guys is worth it. If I hear my mike go off, I stop and listen and respond, as I am pretty sure its my group since we use sub-channels. Picking say Channel 4 or whatever else, you are going to hear chatter all day long. Doesn't make sense. I agree not to give your credit card info over the channel......
I put it in this analogy, your still getting tons of interference...better to have a real radio and go on a channel with your group that no one will be on have better range and more clarity.

Reactions: RGM

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a fine line. The baofeng was sweet until everyone started to get one. Sometimes I actually find the baofeng radios more irritating because of the preset channels always being used in groups. The limited amount of higher power GMRS channels that are preset into it, make it less versatile than an oxbow or BCA.
Not everyone has a Baofeng, more times than not, the group is forced to use one of the preset channel’s on the baofeng radio.
I have a channel made for the group I ride with, and only a handheld ham has access to the channel, but can’t use it because of the garmin rino, or BCA radio owner.
The sub channels are nice to get away from the groups that cannot go 10 ft apart without telling their buddies how sick their line was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a fine line. The baofeng was sweet until everyone started to get one. Sometimes I actually find the baofeng radios more irritating because of the preset channels always being used in groups. The limited amount of higher power GMRS channels that are preset into it, make it less versatile than an oxbow or BCA.
Not everyone has a Baofeng, more times than not, the group is forced to use one of the preset channel’s on the baofeng radio.
I have a channel made for the group I ride with, and only a handheld ham has access to the channel, but can’t use it because of the garmin rino, or BCA radio owner.
The sub channels are nice to get away from the groups that cannot go 10 ft apart without telling their buddies how sick their line was.

Just program new GMRS channels into it.....hundreds and hundreds of options.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just program new GMRS channels into it.....hundreds and hundreds of options.

I said I did, For my group. Not all GMRS channels are high power so using a channel at low power with a BCA user would be .5w.
With all of the channels preprogrammed into my baofeng I do not have many preprogrammed slots left, with the extra GMRS channels I have.
It’s a pain to manually program a channel in frequency mode at the truck, a standard channel is, but then find the proper ctss code to get off of the standard channel of the GMRS preprogrammed into the radio. The ctss code on a baofeng may also not be the same frequency as the bca, so a frequency chart for both is a must.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I said I did, For my group. Not all GMRS channels are high power so using a channel at low power with a BCA user would be .5w.
With all of the channels preprogrammed into my baofeng I do not have many preprogrammed slots left, with the extra GMRS channels I have.
It’s a pain to manually program a channel in frequency mode at the truck, a standard channel is, but then find the proper ctss code to get off of the standard channel of the GMRS preprogrammed into the radio. The ctss code on a baofeng may also not be the same frequency as the bca, so a frequency chart for both is a must.

I get it now.
I just downloaded the manual from my Garmin Rino and there is page in the back with all the ctss codes and DCS codes. so I screenshotted that. With 128 channels, I have quite a few empties, but programming doesn't take too long if you have all the codes right there. Also, BCA ctss codes are a standard so, they all match. All you need to do is know how to program a baofeng, but a pain if the entire group needs to get it done and no one knows how but one guy.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
Manually programming a frequency into a channel on a Baofeng is simple and takes only a few seconds. Adding a code can be done at the same time and all cts codes are the same through the industry. DCS codes too. My new Quansheng and my new Baofeng UV5RH will pick up those unique frequencies that Caper has and save them to a Channel. Will also add the code too if one is used

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get it now.
I just downloaded the manual from my Garmin Rino and there is page in the back with all the ctss codes and DCS codes. so I screenshotted that. With 128 channels, I have quite a few empties, but programming doesn't take too long if you have all the codes right there. Also, BCA ctss codes are a standard so, they all match. All you need to do is know how to program a baofeng, but a pain if the entire group needs to get it done and no one knows how but one guy.

The baofeng has different ctcss tones, say for instance a guy wanted channel 5 with a tone of 25. “Privacy channel” 25 on a BCA is 156.7 and 25 on a baofeng is 151.4. Without the charts, the radio would have to be put into scan mode.

The Baofeng has way more tones than a BCA , my group channel I have programmed has a tone of 50 on my designated channel, everyone else can hear us if on that channel, but we cannot hear anyone else.

6d417fd71beb6782dabbdf18eda12bcb.jpg

19005b34bb0e219eb2c946794f0c22e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The baofeng has different ctcss tones, say for instance a guy wanted channel 5 with a tone of 25. “Privacy channel” 25 on a BCA is 156.7 and 25 on a baofeng is 151.4. Without the charts, the radio would have to be put into scan mode.

The Baofeng has way more tones than a BCA , my group channel I have programmed has a tone of 50 on my designated channel, everyone else can hear us if on that channel, but we cannot hear

I learn something new every day. The codes were so close, I never really looked that hard at them, but you are correct. I normally just flip through the baofeng codes until I hit the one I want and have been lucky enough to always get the one I want, as most are there. But, yes some are missing, even on the Garmin Rinos.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com

The bigger proble, of this is guys all go out on their own and don't really know how to load channels and find a channel list that would be ideal for this not to happen, we load vhf channels and many others so groups would be on a channel no one would ever be on. The issue your talking about is the same with bca cause so many people have them its hard to find a channel that is not busy. Like with anything your group is best on all the same radios as then you can all communicate on a channel away from everyone else. cheers dave

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Matt made a channel that is kept more private so when we ride as a group we are all on that channel " snow " is what is named, super good range and crystal clear. If you know how to program these things and understand them skys the limit. I have the cable and chirp for my laptop so I can add, delete and reprogram. A lot to learn with these.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
The tones/codes are a "standard" list. The order they are listed in by different radio manufactures is where the problem comes in when telling a friend to use tone #25 for instance. Baofeng/BCA/ Chatterbox/Motorola/Kenwood/Midland etc--all use a different number/letter to identify a particular tone so it can get confusing giving a friend a number instead of the actual tone. I started a cross reference but gave up as better computer skills were needed to complete the task.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will get better range using VHF frequencies vs UHF frequencies. It is why RR channels are VHF

Top Bottom