Ball Joints & Tie Rod Ends, is it worth replacing everything at once?

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
I've got a 2006 F150 with about 130,000kms on it. The upper ball joints are done and I'm going to be replacing them in the near future.

My question is whether I should do the lower ball joints and the outer tie-rod ends at the same time? At the moment, the tie-rod ends and lower ball joints are in good shape, but they are wear items and if the upper's are done, their time is likely near as well.

While I've got everything apart is it a good idea to replace them as well? Or just the lower ball joints (to avoid needing an alignment) or just the tie-rod ends (to avoid needing a ball joint press).

Thanks,

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2006 F150 with about 130,000kms on it. The upper ball joints are done and I'm going to be replacing them in the near future.

My question is whether I should do the lower ball joints and the outer tie-rod ends at the same time? At the moment, the tie-rod ends and lower ball joints are in good shape, but they are wear items and if the upper's are done, their time is likely near as well.

While I've got everything apart is it a good idea to replace them as well? Or just the lower ball joints (to avoid needing an alignment) or just the tie-rod ends (to avoid needing a ball joint press).

Thanks,

if you got the money I would do them all at once especially the ball joints if it is a 4x4 cause the work involved. Also if a 4x4 I would look at the axel u-joints as well since you have it apart.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you got the money I would do them all at once especially the ball joints if it is a 4x4 cause the work involved. Also if a 4x4 I would look at the axel u-joints as well since you have it apart.

This is good advice. Definitely do upper and lower ball joints while it's torn down as well as inspecting/replacing the axle u-joints. The tie rods, if they're in good shape, use your own discretion. They can easily be done later.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but an 06 F-150 should have cv-joints and I would only replace them if necessary. As for the ball joints I would do the upper and lower together but the upper can be done without touching the lower.

Top Bottom