As anyone been on the stergeo river lately?

Yvan

Reaction score
I was wandering if the stergeon river was frozen yet between St Albert and Gibons? was thinking of riding our ATV this weekend.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I was wandering if the stergeon river was frozen yet between St Albert and Gibons? was thinking of riding our ATV this weekend.

I'm thinking that you may end up in the Sturgeon if you try it now, the weather hasn't been steadily cold, I don't think I'd be stepping foot onto the ice yet, let alone taking my ATV on to it.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read on some ice fishing web sites in alberta that there are som 10" to 15" of ice on the lakes. You can drive a regular truck on 15" of good ice no problem.... ice road truckers drive 50,000lbs on min of 27" of good ice, your atv will be fine on 12" of ice.....question is though: do you have 12" all over the river where you'll be riding.....lack of snow this year would make the ice more solid then last year I would think, but the winter so far has been some what mild whcih may make the ice not good on a river anyway....

River ice and lake ice can be different, i would wait till next month for river ice, but still check before!!!! Be safe!

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
old man was doing a well service call last week out at buck lake and there was still open water in the middle. j/s
hasn't been very cold since.
guys might be ice fishing already but i dont think they are around here.

Turbo_Albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.fenrichhomes.ca
I would say stay off it for now. I live at alberta beach and wouldn't think of going on the lake yet and I'm thinking the stergeon river would be the same. If you decide to ride the river be carefull !!

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People started riding the blind man river at blackfalds 2 weeks ago already still at little early for my liking any where there is a spring entering the rivers or a shallow spot the ice is probably very thin still

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're riding a polaris you may want to wait til the ice hit's 36 inches. Thing will probably drop through at anything less than that ;)

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All previous years, I wait for at least Xmas before going on the Blindman or the Battle river.
Yeah I saw people were riding on it two weeks ago ...crazy stuff. Weather has been way to warm for GOOD ice !!! Just go fast i guess...if you feel the back of the quad breaking thru...just lean back and pin it !!! (unless you like the polar bear dip) LOL

Top Bottom