Are these snow conditions normal for the Calgary and surrounding area

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to the Calgary and surrounding area. Just wondering if this weather and snow conditions are normal for this time of year. I come from the east coast and there is usually lots of snow for riding but am amazed by these chinooks and weather variations. I was under the impression one could ride from Dec to Apr in the foothills. Is our snowfall done with? I have recently returned to the sport and am hoping to get some more trail time in. Maybe just a bad year to get back into riding?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These weather ups-and-downs are normal for the Calgary area. I have been here for over 20 years now, and although this is a milder than not winter for the Calgary area, it comes after one of the best for snowmobiling in 10 years - last year. Get use to the Chinooks, they are here every winter, but hopefully not as frequent and warm as this particular year.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its hit or miss here in southern Alberta. However Dec thru April is very optimistic on the best of years. Having said that our best snow conditions locally [west of Okotoks] this year were in November this year and from time to time we can have big snows in April. This year is unseasonably warm and windy not a good formula for snow. The vast majority of sledders in Calgary and area travel to south eastern BC where generally speaking sledding conditions are some what predictable and the season can easily be Dec thru April or Longer. For someone who has not traveled 4 to 6 hours one way it may seem excessive to travel that distance to sled for a day or two but be careful one epic day in Revy and you will be hooked. I am out of the country till the second week of march but am heading out sledding as soon as I am home If you would like to come along PM me I am just getting back after a long break too.
Hello all. I am new to the Calgary and surrounding area. Just wondering if this weather and snow conditions are normal for this time of year. I come from the east coast and there is usually lots of snow for riding but am amazed by these chinooks and weather variations. I was under the impression one could ride from Dec to Apr in the foothills. Is our snowfall done with? I have recently returned to the sport and am hoping to get some more trail time in. Maybe just a bad year to get back into riding?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have lived here for 8 years, and this is the worst year for local snow. I have the advantage of being able to ride right from my house, so I have managed 48 miles this year. I would recommend to you, that you become a member of a club.
I joined the Calgary Snowmobile Club, last fall and they have a few group rides, great info. They are in Elkatraz this weekend, with the Betties.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Keith on this RCMP Dad. If you want to enjoy the sport to the fullest then a mountain sled is in your future if you live in Alberta. This years weather is more to the extreme for lack of snow but is similar in its pattern for the long term. Snow, cold then chinook and start over it seems.

sledmaster3

Reaction score
Pretty much from Alberta/ BC border rite up to Golden has plus digits and rain the last few weeks! In Elkford, you can trailor your sleds up high but can't access some trails from town!

Does anybody know what it is like in revelstoke??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Worst year I have seen in the Okanogan and I have been sledding since 1999. Too many pineapple express with rain at high elevations. I've put 110 miles on my new sled.Such balls. Almost ready to give up on the season, was 14.9 in kelowna yesterday.

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
I have lived here for 8 years, and this is the worst year for local snow. I have the advantage of being able to ride right from my house, so I have managed 48 miles this year. I would recommend to you, that you become a member of a club.
I joined the Calgary Snowmobile Club, last fall and they have a few group rides, great info. They are in Elkatraz this weekend, with the Betties.
Thanks Trashy668. I appreciate your input.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In our area (Cranbrook) this is the worst winter anyone can recall. Where we traditionally see 4-6 feet of snow you are lucky to find 18 inches.
Above 6500 feet it gets a little better but nowhere near normal. Don't let this year be your guide for the future.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Revy at Boulder it was super icy on the trail going up to the cabin on Saturday. After the cabin around Alberta Hill we got about 6 to 8 inches of fresh which made for fun riding for the day as the sun came out. Warmed it all up so on Sunday the 6 to 8 inches was now 2 to 3 inches and all tracked out by end of day for the main areas. Trouble was dropping down too much you got back into the icy hard conditions lower down unless you waited for the afternoon to soften it up. Just drove home on the Monday as it wasn't worth it for just a half day. They need snow in a big way too...

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the worst for snow conditions In Southern Alberta (Red Deer, Rocky Area south to the border) I have seen in many years. And I am not wasting fuel to drive 3 or 4 hours (Golden, Crowsnest Pass Fernie area) to ride on less than stellar conditions. Now in saying all this conditions can change on a dime in March & April and you can have fantastic conditions to enjoy.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the worst for snow conditions In Southern Alberta (Red Deer, Rocky Area south to the border) I have seen in many years. And I am not wasting fuel to drive 3 or 4 hours (Golden, Crowsnest Pass Fernie area) to ride on less than stellar conditions. Now in saying all this conditions can change on a dime in March & April and you can have fantastic conditions to enjoy.

Castle Ski Hill in the Crowsnest has shut down operations due to the "lovely" snow year.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, although C-town gets some Chinooks, its not a normal year anywhere for snow. This time last year I had at least 2 feet in my front yard (faces north so even with the Chinooks it usually stays pretty good), its all grass this year and has been for a couple weeks now. There is usually at least some kind of trail riding at Cataract or Maclean but I doubt there is enough snow at either right now and supposed to be +10 tomorrow. BC is sucking big time as well, as many have said, low snow year all around.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Some of the trail up Gorman is dirt and some bare ice sections..sleds were running warm with scratchers down even .And the road up to silent pass is really rough and basically gravel with a few deep craters around the 30 km mark

Top Bottom