anyone haul a sled on 5.5' truck bed ?

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a truck got a couple that fit my budget

04 titan crew cab LE 5.5' bed for $12,000 (170,000 kms)
01 tundra access cab limited 6.5' bed for $10,000 (200,000 kms)

The titan's a much nicer truck obviously, its the LE model fully loaded .. been looking for a king cab titan in that price range and can't find anything. I'm wondering how bad it is to haul my 156 track sled in a 5.5' bed.. I'm guessing i'd have about 2.5' of the track hanging off the truck (bed length would be 7.5' with the tailgate down)

I know it's not an ideal situation but should be doable.. thinking about rigging up my superclamp in the truck bed and maybe even get a rear superclamp to secure it in there properly

Last edited:

matm8snopro

Reaction score
I had a gmc sierra with a 5'8" box and loaded my m8 153. I got pulled over in bc for the sled being to long. Only allowed 36" past taillights without it being flagged...I think....The cop was good, told me to flag it and he checked to be sure the front was tied in securely. It was around golden last november. I sold that truck for a longer box truck. I would never buy anything less then a 6,5ft box again as it is completely useless for what I do with it. Hope this helps!!

scottp

Reaction score
I had a 144" Phazer that I hauled with a Dakota that stuck out about 2'. I bolted a D ring to the box floor to tie the front down and had no issues. Keep in mind that with a 5 1/2 ft box you will pay a premium price for a 5th wheel hitch if you ever decide to get a 5th wheel trailer.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its all possible, i would look into one of thoes sled decks that just slid in the box of the truck, or even make one.
Full Lotus Metals

just one thing to think about.. if its stick past the tail lights more then 3ft if i remember correctly. make sure the back of the sled is lit up with a red light for night and a 1'x1' flag for the day.. i got tickets for that last winter.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres a pic of my 09 f150. 5.5 box and a 7ft deck should of made my deck 6" longer though. 7ft is to short for any sled imo. the end of the deck is just behind the pivot point in the rails causing it to mant to pull backwards when you secure the rear of the machine.
ok so i cannot get it to let me add a picture. pm me your email and i can send you one if you want. it can be done though. both my sleds were a 162 and a 159. gets pretty heavy behind the rear axle though with the short box and long sleds.

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A riding buddy of mine put a deck ona lincoln mark v a few years back. It looked stupid & didnt handle great w 2 151 on the deck, but it worked, and was better than a trailer

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
My buddy hauls his 154 XP in the back of his Tundra all the time. No issues.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres one of my 09 with the 2 sleds on a deck. like i said needs the deck 6" longer min. handled ok but needs air bags. fyi over weight by about 500 lbs or so on the rear but still had lots of room left on the front. putting the sleds on the deck actually lightened the front by about 300lbs.
i am installing bags this year and will reweigh with a level truck and see what it is at.

Attachments

• riding 04 10 11 033.jpg
    riding 04 10 11 033.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 293

ratpak

Reaction score
I've been hauling a 154" XP in my Titan Crew Cab for years in and out of BC and Alberta with no issues at all. I've even been pulled over to check my registration for the sled and there's no problem. It does stick out of the 5.5' box, but it's still secure.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been hauling a 154" XP in my Titan Crew Cab for years in and out of BC and Alberta with no issues at all. I've even been pulled over to check my registration for the sled and there's no problem. It does stick out of the 5.5' box, but it's still secure.

Do you have any pics ?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does it matter if it hangs out 6 inches or 6 feet? I have about the first foot of my skid on the deck and the rest is hanging out in the air......Im under the 4 feet so I dont need a flag or light at the end of the sled.........and I'm not over weight! oh and the ramp that slides in the back of my deck does not act like a deck extention.......it is about 6 inches from the track! I have made a block of wood that goes between the paddles. it keeps the paddles from folding over on the edge of the deck, and puts all the weight right on the skid and not the track paddles! (not showin in this pic)
turbo Apex for sale.jpg

Last edited:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a F150 6.5' box for a year, only had the sled on it 3 times for short trips, moved to a F350 this year. Sled is still long and needs to be flagged or lighted, but the F150 handled the weight quite well. My old 2500 Chev was great with the deck so I have high expectations of the F350 sleddeck.jpg

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 5.5 box on my King Ranch. The Kitty has a 162 track on it. I am just overlenght with the tailgate down. I have made a light to hook on to the track, but have not used it yet. The truck handles the sled with no problems at all. I also have a single trailer but prefer the sled in the box of the truck.

Top Bottom