Anyone Clean there Winch

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My 2500 Warn winch from my 400 outy was not working so I removed it and just took it apart. Man the gears were all seized together, and even the motor was full of mud, took it right to pieces. Sprayed heavy with fluidfilm and after about an hour you can just turn all the gears, then took a steel brush and varasol to everything and then its time to regrease and reassemble. First I have to get a few minor parts then i'll have together.
I guess from now on once a season the winches will come in for an overhaul. And a good grease job with some good marine grease.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I just serviced mine last week after smashing the motor off of it. I try and do it once a year but end up doing it when it piles up or breaks. Here's a breakdown of the parts.

Attachments

• broken winch.jpg
    broken winch.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 122

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just use it once and a while and spool it out now and then!
catmando!

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
i have read about the older warn2500's having problems with dirt, mud etc. the newer, since fall last year, warns are sealed and not supposed to have the problem. i will check mine out soon enough, i have the newer one, and let you know.

SwampRat

Reaction score
done mine a few times.should replace bushings at same time, their cheep! might thank yourself latter!!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my free spool is seized again same as every other time i try to use it.. this time its not under warranty anymore so I'm gonna grease it up really good ..

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
instead of bushings i would look at getting the same size ball bearing. less work for the motor.

Ball bearings, mud and water do not mix. I have never had to replace any of the small brass bushings in any of my winches yet. The most important piece you should replace when servicing your winch is the little teflon split bushings that the drum rides on. These help keep everything aligned when under load and save wear on all brass bushings. They are $5 to replace. my 2 cents.

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine cleaned his and used a synthetic grease for reassembly. Huge decrease in operating noise with the synthetic.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure which lube she uses but usually let her clean the playing field herself

kind of insist she stays away from the chemical cleaning products as it's hard on the little fella, if you know what i mean.

Top Bottom