Any heating issues with the new pro RMK?

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a new pro but I sometimes ride here around Edmonton/ Whitecourt are and I was wondering is this able to run on the trail at all Without overheating? I run a 2015 T3 174 around Edmonton and i dont have too much trouble keeping it cool but it has a front heat exchanger and I know the pros don't. So are they still able to run on the trails somewhat and not overheat?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have both and neither is a sled that i would consistently run in the edmonton area the sks has a better cooling system than the pro but there is a slight weight penalty

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run my 11' pro around Lloyd all the time without issues (not much for trails though). Have good scratchers in case you need them. Worst case you need to pull over and pile some snow on the tunnel to cool down.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode my 3x163 at the lake with scratchers down over Christmas and had no issues. We took it easy though. If riding hardpack lots I would suggest putting on extra scratchers on skis as I think you may have more of a slider wear issue.

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I say I have ridden my 3" x 174" around Edmonton with no problems. But I also have 3 sets of scratchers and you have to be smart and keep it in the deepest snow you can find. I have 3 people in my family that ride so its a little to expensive to have 3 sleds for the mountains and 3 for around here. We do most of our riding in the mountains so I'm trying to make them work. So far the summits working but I'm just not sure about the RMK with not having a front cooler.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I say I have ridden my 3" x 174" around Edmonton with no problems. But I also have 3 sets of scratchers and you have to be smart and keep it in the deepest snow you can find. I have 3 people in my family that ride so its a little to expensive to have 3 sleds for the mountains and 3 for around here. We do most of our riding in the mountains so I'm trying to make them work. So far the summits working but I'm just not sure about the RMK with not having a front cooler.
yes it is expensive too have 2 sleds per rider based on conditions and riding areas you seem to understand by how you are cooling your t3 what is required for hardpack and lower snow conditions i am sure you will find away to keep the rmk cool

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Axys RMK sleds definitely stay cooler than the previous Pro RMKs.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bypass tstat is part of that along with longer coolers I think. I put a bypass stat on my pro and it helped alot.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 sets of scratchers !!. You won't have heating issues with the pros with one set of scratchers. A trail is a trail regardless if its in b.c or Alberta.

The t-stat bypass isn't for cooling its to avoid the cold shot of coolant shrinking the cylinders.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree on the cold shot but it also helps with cooling, at least the larger tstat (increased flow) that I have sure helped with cooling. This is why most see a 10f+ reduction in normal running temps. I run 98f around home in any sort of soft snow, 2.25-3" track all run the same temps.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree on the cold shot but it also helps with cooling, at least the larger tstat (increased flow) that I have sure helped with cooling. This is why most see a 10f+ reduction in normal running temps. I run 98f around home in any sort of soft snow, 2.25-3" track all run the same temps.

Did you take out your stock t-stat and just have the one with the by-pass?.

And what setup did you use?.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes removed stock tstat and used a remote bypass tstat (Terra alps racing). The skidoo stat works well too but its housing is plastic so I opted for the aluminum housing style (powder junkies has one too, I have one sitting here that I never ended up using on a different sled).

I also run a PAR head (I think most aftermarket heads can increase cooling a bit).

Top Bottom