Algae control for dug outs or large ponds.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody have pointers for Algae control for dug outs or large ponds?

Not a major problem yetbut with the high water this year, there is a bit extra growth. The banks are not real steep around edges anymore with the high water level.

The water is pretty clear but the algae is more like green flakes on the surface.

Maintenance to Clean up for appearance purpose. No fish or livestock currently, but wanna keep treatments at safe levels incase a dog takes a drink or swim.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throw a oat bale in the dug out every couple years . Problem solved .
Bigger dug outs a whole round bale .

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Following this thread for Pond scum removal strategies!
Can you post a pic of said pond with algae?

Posting a pic of your moms vagina might not be appropriate for a public forum!

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
When I worked at the golf course as a kid they used to use copper sulfate. But do some research on it first, it can kill other plants and fish as well.
If you don’t have fish hit it with copper sulphate for sure. I think it takes oxygen out of the water but is still save for livestock to drink.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throw a oat bale in the dug out every couple years . Problem solved .
Bigger dug outs a whole round bale .

Oats??? I had once read online about a test done with barley straw but the article said results were inconclusive.

I don’t buy many bales!

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don’t have fish hit it with copper sulphate for sure. I think it takes oxygen out of the water but is still save for livestock to drink.

What is a good source for copper sulphate and dose/application details?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I worked at the golf course as a kid they used to use copper sulfate. But do some research on it first, it can kill other plants and fish as well.

According to My Dad. They use some sort of Phosphorous mixture in kootenay lake to help control the algae

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oats??? I had once read online about a test done with barley straw but the article said results were inconclusive.

I don’t buy many bales!

Barley will work as well . It’s the straw that does something to control .

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wonder why they aren't using these strategies to help control the blue/green algae in Alberta lakes.

Because like everything? Someone would have a problem with something that might make sense . Lol
Who knows but possibly would take to much product.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is a good source for copper sulphate and dose/application details?

I am in the water treatment business although this is not our focus of business. That said, I worked with a guy a few years ago that would mix copper sulfate and calcium hypochlorite beads 50/50 and he would sell it to customers with ponds to cast on the surface to kill algae. We can get both products from our chemical blender if you need. Likely available in 20 kg bags. The disclaimer is you do your homework to prove your application and use at own risk. PM me if you need product.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with buying a pre-mix product packaged like this is the price will be high. The advantage is they will likely stand behind the product if you use as per their directions.

For us, we tried going the cheaper route at first by getting some copper sulphate (ufa, peavey mart, etc - easy to find), but the problem with chemicals is if you don’t get the dosing right the first time, it can actually make the problem worse. We were doing one of our dugouts to try and keep it clean to use for spraying, but it was tough estimating the exact volume - ended up making the algae worse by the second year it seemed.

We had much better luck with the “bug” treatment method. There’s other ones out there too. If you get the bug culture in the pond, it’ll keep growing and doing its thing until the algae is gone.

Top Bottom