Alberta Cancer Foundation - World's Longest Hockey Game 2011

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
posting for a friend at work

Hello everyone, well its almost time for the 4th "Worlds Longest Hockey Game". In February, I will be playing, for the second time, in the "Worlds Longest Hockey Game", and our goal is to play for 10 days and more importantly, raise 1 million dollars and donate it to the Alberta Cancer Foundation for the purchase of a Linear Accelerator. As most of you know I lost my Dad to cancer in 2000 and my Father-in-law to complications due to cancer in 2009 and also an uncle and just recently a family member. I know that this is a cause that is close to many of us, and has effected us all in different ways. Last game was very difficult due to the cold weather, and the fact that a few players had to play with frozen body parts is a indication of how dedicated we are as a group. I'm hoping I can count on your support by sponsoring me in this battle. I have set up a link that you can easily access to make donations. It would also be great if you could take the time to come and watch the game if you get a chance. At times during the 10 day event it becomes very difficult to stay motivated and put on the gear and get dressed in -25 weather, so everytime we see people out there in the cold with us, it really drives us to continue. I would like to thank everyone for their support in the past and am hoping I can count on you to help make a difference in the future. The game is being played at "Saikers Acres" 1 mile south of the Laughing Llama on Wye road east of Sherwood Park. It starts on Feb.11 and continues till Feb.21, so come and join us cause I know where I'll be!!

Thanks Les

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DyOSz4jr0Y[/media]

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good job Polcat. Thank you very much for your effort and involvement.

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First gal on the team at the World's Longest Hockey Game

. As an optometrist herself, Jenelle Trenchuk should be used to looking at the small print.
When Trenchuk said yes to Brent Saik's marriage proposal last year, she didn't know that there was an added catch -- becoming the first-ever female player to suit up with the 39 other weary warriors taking part in the arduous 10-day World's Longest Hockey Game currently underway southeast of Sherwood Park.
Mind you, she admits there was a clue to what was coming when she first met Saik, team optometrist to the Edmonton Oilers and Eskimos and the organizer of the Guinness record-breaking game held every few years to raise money for the Cross Cancer Institute.
"I'm an optometrist as well and we met at a conference in Banff in May," she said.
"The first conversation that we had was he asked me if I played hockey. I thought that was a bit of an odd first question. But now it all makes sense."
Saik actually didn't have to do any arm-twisting to get Trenchuk on board for the event as she readily volunteered when a spot opened up.
"I'm always up for a challenge, so when he asked me to play I was all for it," she said. "It didn't actually come to playing until about a month ago, when one of the 40 guys said he wasn't able to do it. That's when I stepped in."
Lacing up the skates and hitting the ice is not something altogether alien for the Lacombe native.
"I grew up with brothers and that was our after-school activity," she said.
"I played pond hockey for years."
But playing for more than 240 hours straight?
"I am a little nervous," Trenchuk said before taking her first shifts last weekend. "My knees are knocking. But it will be good. We are out here for a purpose and that makes it easier. I'll just take it one day at a time. When you really think about it, 10 days of playing hockey is a lot."
Being the first girl in the game will be one of the things keeping Trenchuk going, as she has already had plenty of warm and fuzzy feelings to keep her going through the cold nights playing.
"I had one little girl come up to me yesterday with a bag of change," she said. "She wanted to personally give it to the only girl on the team. Hopefully, I inspire other little girls to want to play hockey and
maybe touch a whole new group of people. It's pretty exciting."
Like almost every player in the game, raising money for the battle against cancer is a deeply personal matter.
"My grandmother passed away from cancer and a very near and dear friend, my first cousin, struggled with cancer," Trenchuk said. "She beat it but I have seen how it wreaks havoc on your life and your body."
The goal for this year's game is to raise $1 million for the Cross, earmarked to buy a rare, advanced piece of cancer- fighting equipment called a linear accelerator.
The World's Longest Hockey Game continues until Monday at Saik's acreage rink, at 52269 Range Road 220.
Saik and Trenchuk are slated to skate down the aisle in August.
shanej@sherwoodparknews.com

Top Bottom