Air bags & compressor

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the firestones and they are good, but make sure you get the newest kit, a buddy has the same set up but more miles and his wore through on the bottom. Firestone honoured them and gave warranty but the newer kit has a disc that goes under the bag on the lower spring perch I guess, prevents the bottom of the bag from tearing up. I'm just going to wash mine out regularly at the carwash when I am there to make sure the sand and rocks don't chew it up as bad. No onboard compressor for me, I just use a hand bike pump if I am not around a compressor or gas station. 4 strokes per 1 PSI for my truck, takes less than a minute to go up 15 PSI in each bag. If I'm at home I use the compressor but they will fill very quick if you have the regulator set at 100 PSI+ so be careful. Not a lot of volume in those bags. I have a deck and haul 1 sled plus a ton of gear, fuel and crap under the deck (probably close to 1000 lbs including the deck) and I have never gone over 20 PSI in the bags but they can go up to 35 PSI.

You can "T" the lines or not, up to you, but I like having the flexibility of adjusting each bag separately so mine are plumbed separate. It will make your ride a little rougher but not by much I found, I just air down to 5 psi when not using them and its a little rougher maybe going over bigger dips in the road but not much different just normal driving on flat pavement.

you must have the old ones, my firestones will go up to 90 psi. you must run 5-9 psi in them at all times (empty), if you bottom out with no air in them and bust the mount warranty is void

GRD

Reaction score
some good info in this thread. you guys that are running firestone, have any of you taken any leafs springs out?

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in 86 I bought an F-250 diesel and an 11' Kodiak camper. The camper really made that truck sit down. I went to a spring shop and had another leaf put on the over load springs. That made the truck level with the camper on and it still rode good when empty. About 5 years ago I bought an F-450 and an 11 1/2' Okanogan camper. I put on air bags (don't remember what kind). I just hated them. When empty the truck rode like a hay wagon no matter how much air you had in the bags. I just bought a 2011 F-350 dually and a 42' toy hauler. The truck sits down a bit but not bad. I'm going to take it in and get another leaf spring put on the over loads. It's cheap and you just can't go wrong IMO.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh I find it the other way. Unloaded with 5-10 psi truck rides better.

Extra leafs make it stiffer unloaded.

sent from my htc

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put a set in my 05 dodge 2500 back in 05 still running the same set 2 trucks later and about 850000kms so as for durability those numbers speak for themselves

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just worked on a 2012 dodge 1/2 ton with rear bags. They go inside the coil spring.

Bad idea. I can see the dirt already rubbing the bag between spring and bag.

Isn't going to last long.

The old motor homes used to do that up front but no dirt got into those like the rear ones do...

Stupid idea. Just my 2 cents

sent from my htc

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh I find it the other way. Unloaded with 5-10 psi truck rides better.

Extra leafs make it stiffer unloaded.

sent from my htc

Yes if you added leaf to the main spring it will ride rough but I'm talking about the overload springs. When empty you are still riding on the main springs so your ride does not change but with a load, the extra leaf on the overloads helps to hold up the truck.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes if you added leaf to the main spring it will ride rough but I'm talking about the overload springs. When empty you are still riding on the main springs so your ride does not change but with a load, the extra leaf on the overloads helps to hold up the truck.

ya but they are kind of chincy looking things .... don't think they help as much as a air bag set up as load bearing goes ... still only as good as the top leaf then ... at least the air bags are in a different spot [ most trucks anyways ]

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mounted my firestone compressor on my old truck under the hood with left and right airbag switches to my firestone bags. It was nice,.. 5psi empty about 50psi loaded,.. hook up air up, unhook then air down.

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is every one mounting their air compressor? Heard of a few guys mounting it inside the cab, under the back seats, I know a few guys that have them mounted on the frame rails, don't really like that Idea, as I'm off road/Mud etc, for two weeks at a time. Have had air bags on the Last 5 trucks I've owned but never with the air comp. and now have been thinking about it.

Mike

Top Bottom