After market high performance rad good idea or not

speenz21

Reaction score
Hey every one I was looking on ebay for an aftermarket rad for my can am 650 I don't want the relocate kit because I use my racks for everything and don't want to loose that space. That's why I was looking for aftermarket high performance rads that are all aluminum apparently they give 30 to 40 percent better than stock rads. I can get them from $160 and up I was just curious how much better they are and if anyone has installed in there bikes. Thanks looking forward for your input .

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think if mounted in the same location as the stock rad, your benefits will be negated by the mud clogging it up. 30-40% better cooling probably means in optimal conditions

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just take out the thermostat and get a spin on oil filter adapter and add a oil cooler

speenz21

Reaction score
Just take out the thermostat and get a spin on oil filter adapter and add a oil cooler

Is it bad to take the thermostat out like wont the bike over heat
and how does this oil cooler work and where can I get one and is it safe for the bike

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leave your tstat in. There is an optimal temperature for your engine. There is a reason every liquid cooled engine on the planet has one.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trackside in Olds sells a thermostat out of a Ski-Doo that they turn down to fit the quad....runs cooler. If yours is overheating the rad is probably plugged. Take it out and clean it.

Cooler Thermostats for 800cc Engines - Page 8 - ATV Parts - can-am ATV Forums - can-amtalk.com This guy in the USA makes the t-stats as well.

Edit: you HAVE to remove the rad to clean it properly. To avoid having to bleed air out of the system, I clamp the upper and lower hoses, then remove from the rad and catch the coolant...then remove fan, rad and clean. Re install, fill, THEN remove clamps.

Last edited:

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after it is all cleaned put a rad relocate kit on and your machine will love you

Top Bottom