advice for protecting new truck agains gravel

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, best I can figure is the factory hard plastic molded flaps dont require self tapping screws.

HD rubber flaps do require the self tappping screws. Is this pretty much it? and what are the opinions on these options?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3M it. Get the plastic film and cover as much as you can, $1000 and you are set. My Cabelas has those dinky moulded POS flaps. I am going to replace it with good rubber ones...The wheel lip mouldings are scratched now from those moulded flaps.., so I am gonna have to buck up and get those painted now... I bought the truck used.
The heavy rubber ones need the screws.. in the back you can get away with a piece of angle iron and bolt it to the frame.. You can gack the screws and holes with rockerguard.. it should be ok if you do it right.'

Last edited:

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Chev Silverado With Carbon metalic paint and at 20000km I have some major chips in the paint. I am going over to see a buddy in a body shop to see how to repair them. I hope he can help to stop the chips. The truck is never dirty or on any gravel. I too would like to find the cure for the chip problem.

jazzman

Reaction score
I have a 2010 dodge 3500 long box crew cab and I put on the armagard at custom truck colour matched to the truck. It is awesome you can hardly tell Its on. Also I run the mudflaps that are 14 inches wide. And added a flap mid point on the cab to keep the rocks down. It works! IMG00075-20101207-1005.jpg

Oh and dont worry about my frikkin plate!:nono:

Last edited:

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 dodge 3500 long box crew cab and I put on the armagard at custom truck colour matched to the truck. It is awesome you can hardly tell Its on. Also I run the mudflaps that are 14 inches wide. And added a flap mid point on the cab to keep the rocks down. It works!View attachment 107949

Oh and dont worry about my frikkin plate!:nono:

Wow that's sweet, how far up does it go? I had no idea you could color match the stuff.

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
Can see how the self tappers might cause a problem with rust, But that is what Ive had on my truck for 70000km now and had no sign of rust yet, never stored inside a heated garage or kept clean! well summer it stays pretty clean, and it is a Ford not a Dodge hahaha.

Man you have got to get something on there, $ wise mud flaps are the best starting point, if $ is not a concern than flaps and 3M film, and if $ is of no concern what so ever, read "jazzmans" post.

If you are worried about screws, look into a company called "Husky" they are distbruted threw "Grandwest"(most performance or aftermarket shops will deal with them) They have a system that uses tabs bent around your fender lip to attach the flaps. And they are still fairly heavy flaps.

jazzman

Reaction score
If you open the pic you can just see up to the first body line and around the fender flares. I did not want screws either but I could not find any other way to stand up to the mud! I pulled the fender liners out and just sprayed that under coating over the backside of the screws. I might keep the rust out for a while. I am at 95 000 km and no rust.:beer:

Hey BeachSled good to see the little daughter on that 120 Awesome!:cool:

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What brand mudflaps and where did you get them? (question to Jazzman re 14" wide flaps)

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with screws/ bolts causing corrosion is called galvanic corrosion, dissimilar metals touching may accelerate corrosion. Like a stainless screw or bolt through a steel fender and add to that it is in a brutal harsh environment with salt spray and potential exposed bare metal from drilling, screwing etc.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so, I gots me a 2011 Ram 1500 but there are 9000 hard KM on it already.

A handfull of gravel marks with paint chipped off (wheel well and leading edge of box) and surface rust so i have to get on this. recommendations? I Line-x the bottom half of my old truck but that might be excessive this time.

thanks for your suggestions.

Mud Flaps will help but not stop all rocks, also use the wand wash not drive through car wash, my buddy does the drive through and his newer truck has rust spots where all the chips are, come winter, WAND wash and scrub that truck down by hand, will help to stop the rust for happening as quick , IMO.....

jazzman

Reaction score
Nope you will never stop the rocks but this is my 5th truck that I have run in the bush and on gravel. I just keep tying things out until it works. And my chips I do have are starting to rust a little. But what do you do! You could cover the whole truck with 3m or armagard. Just do what you can its hard to keep them looking nice when you beat them down the gravel!:rant:
:beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom