Above ground pool tips.

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This summer we decided to dive into setting up an above ground pool. With restrictions still lingering and our summer plans for Kelowna cancelled due to family arrangements falling through.

Got a good base ready. Layer of sand all vibe tamped. Just about to start assembly on pool now.

I've read and watched videos for DIY solar heaters and burning barrel heaters. Any other suggestions

What are people using for chemicals.

Was going to use the 18kg pail of chlorine granules as needed. Seems like best bang for buck,

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure you put 18" patio stones under each leg even with the top of the sand or you will be dumping it and starting over.. Start of the season or when i set up the pool i would shock it with liquid chlorine, then i would use crystals to bring it back up to spec, Used a couple of pucks in one of those floating holders to maintain.. Also make sure your yard is fenced or your going to be having issues with the bylaw officer

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a good point about the bylaw... sad world now but check with your insurance company about liability if I recall ours said post a sign of certain verbiage about parental consent etc. minimum age or issues could be on you...

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh good idea with the bricks under the supports.

Full yard is fenced in so we are good there. We can make a sign cause I'm sure some of the neighborhood kids will be all in it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh good idea with the bricks under the supports.

Full yard is fenced in so we are good there. We can make a sign cause I'm sure some of the neighborhood kids will be all in it.
there are at least 2 above ground pools in our subdivision here, both in front yards, no fences, maybe its different attitudes of these people, or maybe they never contacted their insurance companies, who knows.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tips as above for the legs are good ideas. hen the kids jump in ours, the pools rock around quite a bit. Legs need to be on something solid.

If you have a pump with a filter cartridge, dump it immediately. You will be cleaning the filter daily. They really suck. Sand filter (Min 1,500 gpm) or a salt generator are what I would recommend.

Get a good solar tarp. I tried the solr heater and it was useless. A good solar tarp helps immensely. Enough that it will steam the water on surface when you pull it off if in direct sun on a warm summer day. My solar tarp I bet warms up the water temp 4-5 degs pretty easily.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
09A5EBC6-9F60-4084-8F47-5B1959D3005A.jpeg

Can’t add much. Good suggestions so far. I put a 400000 btu boiler in the garage. Keep it at 88’F

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
View attachment 236993
Can’t add much. Good suggestions so far. I put a 400000 btu boiler in the garage. Keep it at 88’F
I’m almost never envious about other people’s things, but maaaaan, you got some cool built stuff. Pool, hot tub, skating rink, bbq, family things, big tools. If I was a girl, I’d so marry you in a second! Bahahahaha

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 236993
Curious but how expensive is it to keep heated? I have a coworker who keeps his 27' pool at a similar temp and he's mentioned his power bills are well over $400 a month during summer months!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious but how expensive is it to keep heated? I have a coworker who keeps his 27' pool at a similar temp and he's mentioned his power bills are well over $400 a month during summer months!
It’s on natural gas so it’s pretty cheap to run.

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Niner thats a sweet setup!! Thats the type of setup I want when I can eventually get an acreage.

For now we will get the pool setup this year. We are going to put washed rocks around the base of the pool. Close but not touching the liner. This way the rocks clean up the area around. And all the splashing water wont wash the sand or soak the lawn completely.

Top Bottom