98 summit clutch secondary

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok with a bit of grunting and some pinched fingers i got the belt off thanks timbo.
NowI am wondering if maybe i have some clutch problems or maybe its just a ski doo thing. turning the sheave manualy allowed it to open a very tiny bit. it seems to rotate ok but the sheaves don't seem to open much.when i changed belts on my arctic cat turning the secondary spread the sheaves much farther apart. is there something wrong with my clutch as the tool seemed to just stripe and it doesn't open up much by hand? never noticed any problems when riding it but the sled is new to me.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the tool that comes with the sled to spread the secondary? It is a bolt with a handle that can be held in a T position. It goes in the side of the secondary and you tighten it until the sheaves are spread. This is very quick and works great. Of course, if the secondary isn't stock, I don't think that it would be the same. Do you have the owner's manual? It should explain the tool and procedure in there.

dimeoflame333

Reaction score
Hi,I have a 99 summit 670x,how do you open the secondary to remove the belt?Also do you know the drivebe;t specs for alignment and tension?

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the tool that comes with the sled to spread the secondary? It is a bolt with a handle that can be held in a T position. It goes in the side of the secondary and you tighten it until the sheaves are spread. This is very quick and works great. Of course, if the secondary isn't stock, I don't think that it would be the same. Do you have the owner's manual? It should explain the tool and procedure in there.

Yup i have the tool that splits the sheaves apart. it threaded in and seemed like it was stripping the threads. the sheaves just don't seem to want to come apart. even after turning theinner sheave by hand it only slightly came apart.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,I have a 99 summit 670x,how do you open the secondary to remove the belt?Also do you know the drivebe;t specs for alignment and tension?

I am not sure what the specs are for alignment or tension. but to remove the belt I bought a tool from ski doo dealership for about 11$ and u are suposed to just screw it in to the face of the outer sleeve. there is on spot that looks like it is missing a bolt. I tried it on mine andstripped the threads a little so I think I may have bigger clutch issues.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doo clutches are not like cat ones,they won't open when turning sheave.on doo ones you have to push them open after turning sheave.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doo clutches are not like cat ones,they won't open when turning sheave.on doo ones you have to push them open after turning sheave.

Yup I tried that while holding the sheave turned and the sheave still won't move. it wiggled about 1/8 of an inch thats all. not sure if its just that dirty because it does look dirty. or maybe something is fubared inside. do you need a clutch compresor to work on the secondary? or can it be done by 2 guys

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would'nt try with 2 guys .make a tool to compress helix.1 lenth of redi rod (threaded bar)
put in vice put clutch over rod use small piece of c channel with hole for rod.tighten down remove spring clip back nut off clutch will come apart.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help I think i am going to have to pull it apart and see whats up.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first off slide down to your nearest doo dealer and buy every tool they have ...then you can go pick up a vise and do everything yourself ...sounds like you should put new buttons and bushings in right away ...

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first off slide down to your nearest doo dealer and buy every tool they have ...then you can go pick up a vise and do everything yourself ...sounds like you should put new buttons and bushings in right away ...

Are they hard to change out?

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thats for changing the belt and thats it

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ya, the threads doo strip on the secondary after many times use, removing the drive belts.... I tapped mine out next size bigger and used a bolt and wrench.... Worked just fine......

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering whats the best way to clean the clutch. brake clean and a rag. or should i use an sos pad. i have never cleaned a clutch before.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering whats the best way to clean the clutch. brake clean and a rag. or should i use an sos pad. i have never cleaned a clutch before.
brake clean will work well. use a scotch brite pad to clean up the sheave faces. if your secondary tool is stripped, you can also use one of the three belt deflection adjuster studs. just remove one of them, and thread it into the hole where the tool goes, tighten it with the allen wrench to spread the sheaves. seems to bite when the tool will no longer do the job. only other way is to drill it out and re-tap the threads like Ric has and use a larger bolt.

kinda odd the tool will open the sheaves partway and spin. usually they just won't bite at all when you try after the threads have lost a bit of material.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
It sound like your tool is just stripped, tap it out to the next bigger size and away you go. On that sled btw you can just pull like a mad man on the belt and it will spread the secondary that way. Can change belts in about 10 sec.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do like Ric said if you want to do it with a bolt. You can take that garbage T-handle thing and throw it in the trash. I've never used it, ever.

Lock the brake on, push down on the belt with one hand and pull up and towards the bulkhead on the inside sheave with the other hand. Keep pushing down on the belt and rotating the inside sheave, it will spread apart enough to get the belt off (needs to go down about 1" into the secondary to get enough slack).

Top Bottom