96 MXZ surges at low speeds

Plattler

Reaction score
My MXZ 583 will not accelerate smoothly under mild throttle, and at sustained speeds around 20km/hr the belt feels like it engages and disengages. The engine will surge between 4500 and 5000. Over 5000 the belt locks in and all is well. I'm not even sure if it is the belt or if it's the engine.

Any ideas? (No... pinning the throttle all the time is not an accepable solution):rolleyes:

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 possibilities... does your sled let you pin the throttle.... does ur machine respond with high end rpms... If so then where talking about clutch if not then ur needle and needle jet will need to be looked at...

Plattler

Reaction score
After 5000 rpm everything smooths out and the sled runs great. I looked at the belt and it seems fine, but I may still replace it.

After looking at the specs for that sled I discovered that the drive pulley spring on the '96 was pink/white. The '97's has a green/blue and the '98's had the choice of green/blue or a violet/yellow. I am assuming that these springs get progressivly stiffer, and that maybe it's a weak spring. Is there anyway to check the colour of the spring without taking the clutch apart?

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on a comet clutch for your model of sled from 1996-98 using cluth # C217504 you should be USING A-2 as weights product #(C207689) and YEL/GRN springs (Product # C208228). Might as wheel check out your springs/ c;utch see what condition your in... Wont hurt it...

Plattler

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I hope I can take a look this week, This weekend looks like it may be too cold for outdoor activities anyways. I'll post results.

Plattler

Reaction score
After checking all alignment and tolerence specs, I discovered something that I was unaware of. As I am rather new to Ski doo I didn't know there was an engine torque set rod. It was backed off with about 5-6mm of gap between it and the engine. I guess that if the engine is allowed to rotate on it's mounts it might cause surging. After I snugged it up to the block, the sled started out MUCH smoother.:rolleyes:

I won't be needing to open the clutch up after all.:d

Top Bottom