800 Cylinder hone

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
Never did this before and after taking the engine apart and getting it ready for the fix kit I found both pistons skirts were damaged and the cylinder has minimal damage, just one place I can catch my finger nail on (the edge around the intake port). I was looking online saw a tool called the flex-hone. Has anyone used this before ? Where can I find one ? or would it just be better to bring it to Polaris or will they charge out the ass for it to be done ?

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your in edmonton just take it to mots machining in the west end ... i think it was something like 25 a cylinder 780-437 5598

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
the guy at polaris here in bonnyville said that you cant hone the cylinders on it . pretty sure you can

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
if your in edmonton just take it to mots machining in the west end ... i think it was something like 25 a cylinder 780-437 5598

Mots is no longer do recreational work. He is strictly focussing on industrial and oil field.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mots is no longer do recreational work. He is strictly focussing on industrial and oil field.

Yup that's true I had to beg pretty much last year to get mine done. You can hone the cylinders I am sure I did mine but that was on an 03. Go into t&t if your in bonnyville and I am sure terry or one of the guys can steer you in the right direction

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
Brought it into motion today and he honed it but the tiny 1/4" mark is still there , this sucks . has anyone ever ran one with a small scratch and not had any issues ? I can't feel the scratch with my finger just with my nail or a scribe. So should I just put it back together with the fix kit and hope for the best , he said it could go either way could last 2000 miles or it could cut the ring in half at 1000 miles and blow the ch!t out of the sled or should I buy a new cylinder , only problem is I don't have $800 right now to waste on a new cylinder.
cylinder.jpg

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Letter buck. IMO. Either way you gotta buy a cylinder right might be 1 month might be 2 yrs. let it rock and see what happens

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brought it into motion today and he honed it but the tiny 1/4" mark is still there , this sucks . has anyone ever ran one with a small scratch and not had any issues ? I can't feel the scratch with my finger just with my nail or a scribe. So should I just put it back together with the fix kit and hope for the best , he said it could go either way could last 2000 miles or it could cut the ring in half at 1000 miles and blow the ch!t out of the sled or should I buy a new cylinder , only problem is I don't have $800 right now to waste on a new cylinder.
View attachment 143686

Did you inquire about a rebuild cylinder? They are usually half the price and just as good.

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
They said If i give them the core it would be $600 for the rebuilt one, plus I would have to pay shipping . So its not really worth that either.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call precise engines. Jim is Great to deal with 1-306-955-1522. They are in Saskatoon.

geelak900

Reaction score
Fast Enterprises in Winnipeg. Call and talk to Kelly. Has complete monoblock cylinder for $440 plus $200 core which you get back. He sends purolater and I had it in 2 days. He even gives you a box for core return. Great guys to deal with and has them in stock.
If you want to hone buy a stone style hone and you can do it yourself. The best hone I found was actually at Princess Auto for $25.00. Make sure to get the one with the longest stones, the shorter ones hang up on the ports when you use that one. The more expensive hone they had had the short stones. I have used them both and there is no susbstitute for the long one. I have done a number of cylinders now with very good results. In all cases I had to hone enough to get the recommended fix kit clearance and it may be enough to deal with a very minor scratch. I had to take 1.5 thou out of a stock cylinder so make sure to check the size if you want the best reliability.

Last edited:
Top Bottom