800' Assault vs 800' Dragon

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have anything bad to say about them? Anyone have any problems with them yet? How is the 146" track in the deep stuff? Still can't decide if I want the new Dragon or I'm kind of leaning towards the Assault? I think overall the Assault is the better out of the two, more versitile, and comes with a way better package. How are you guys liking the new dragons? Anything good or bad to say? Need to buy one soon before they are all gone~!~! Anyone put a turbo in this yrs Dragon yet??

M

mattmedic

Anyone have anything bad to say about them? Anyone have any problems with them yet? How is the 146" track in the deep stuff? Still can't decide if I want the new Dragon or I'm kind of leaning towards the Assault? I think overall the Assault is the better out of the two, more versitile, and comes with a way better package. How are you guys liking the new dragons? Anything good or bad to say? Need to buy one soon before they are all gone~!~! Anyone put a turbo in this yrs Dragon yet??
My new assault rides awesome, no problems other than a fouled plug from the extra oil in the first tank, no problems in the deep stuff so faw, even starting on the hills, i just feathered the gas and out i came, ranchers in pincher creek has 5or 6 assaults to sell and a few dragons. good luck with your decisions......... see ya on the hills

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a new dragon and am enjoying it so far, had to change out sliders already kinda my fault but am going to install some boogie wheels because it seems like we allways ride trails to get in to the alpine ,I had a 900rmk151 and it was a good ride but I thought I needed more track Dragons got extra foot and a little deeper lug seems to work well, not as good on the trail as the short track but better in the alpine. In the spring of 08 we were riding at revelstoke and ran into the boys from boondocker, they were testing there boondocker attitude boxes checking to make sure they could run there turbo's from the parking lots to the alpine. They had a 09dragon as a demo with a pumpgas turbo no intercooler, took it for a rip now I'm no turbo expert but it pulled pretty good at about 6lbs of boost they figured maybe 30 to 50 more horses ( OH YA) All I can remember about the experience was that I should get me one. My plan is to break in the motor this year and turbo next year will see.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks yah we were in revy that same weekend when they were testing last yr. I apperantly wasn't as lucky as you; never got to try one out. I as well I'm still on the ol' 151 track (02' RMK 800) I find even with the Ride FX shocks I have for it, they just don't hold up to the abuse I would like to put my sled through. I've smashed every bone in my body trying to jump this sled, starting to hurt now. Perhaps I'm just getting old. I honestly think the Assault is the sled for me, I love to hold her wide open on the trails, boondock through the trees, and roast the 30ft cliffs. I'm just curious on the Dragon's if I decide not to go with the Assault I will be buying myself the true Mountain climbing machine. I probibly should be buying something that i can climb w for the next 5yrs rather than something that will put me in the hospital for the next 5yrs...I wonder what an assault would be like w a turbo in it ??? Now were talking. lol even better how bout a supercharger???

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds to me like you need the assault they were built to snocross and to take the abuse that you can throw at it, the only concern that I have with the assault is that 146 skid and that snow augering track and that is easy to fix if down the road you think that you need to climb just change the skid or put on track that will deal with the powder better as for the turbo If you can add 50 horsepower with out mixing gas or making the sled less relyable I think thats the way to go. I don't need a turbo all the time but that pumpgas will let you climb with your buddy's all day. I am a big man about 275lbs and pointed that turbo at the steepest part of the hill(no tracks because no one else had been there) and I was still gaining speed when I went over the top.Now it was spring but there was good powder and i would never made on my 151"" I am not sure about supercharger but do they make one for 2 stroke and they take power to turn. buddy who has one on 4 stroke yammy and it is very unrelyable

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the riding style that you are talking about I would say get an assult they are a stock boondocking sled that can take the 30ft drops not saying the dragon can't but that's what the assult was made to do i have a new dragon and love it compared to my old 03 rmk 800 151, it is way more nimble, more power, bigger track (155 with 2.4 lugs) it is a day and night difference the two, like you said if you want to go to the emergency room more I think the assult will get you there a few more times than the dragon but both would be a good buy, consider track length deep pow the dragon would be better but you will have fun with either one.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how hard it would be (and costly) to put assault suspension on a dragon. I have a D8 and the shocks... leave a lot to be desired

Rene

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how hard it would be (and costly) to put assault suspension on a dragon. I have a D8 and the shocks... leave a lot to be desired

Rene

If it is a 09 all you need is shocks, i would go with fox float evoR's and a podium x rear and get some holz rail stiffeners or else get the holz rear skid and have floats all around.

If its a 08 for, the front you need the holz or polaris 09 arms and the 09 polaris swaybar. If you want the wider arms get Zbros.

Mag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is a 09 all you need is shocks, i would go with fox float evoR's and a podium x rear and get some holz rail stiffeners or else get the holz rear skid and have floats all around.

If its a 08 for, the front you need the holz or polaris 09 arms and the 09 polaris swaybar. If you want the wider arms get Zbros.

Yup if it's an 09 all you need are the shocks, the assault doesn't come with a sway bar just real stiff shocks.

crts_lmbrt6

Reaction score
hey i just bought my assult this year and have no complaints ive dropped it jumped it and boondocked through 4 feet of powder and had no trouble except when i let off the throttle. the track it has does trench on the softer hills so climbing in deep powder is difficult. The whole suspension package on it is incredible the sled took everything i could throw at it and it still felt like landing in feathers. Polaris also has a powder track out know for the 146 which will make a big difference on the hills in deep powder.:d

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is good to know, thanks~! The new track is a good idea, any idea on how much extra for the POW track ?

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guess is you need to decide what you wanna do with the sled, me i just bought my first mountain sled this year just picked it up 2 weeks ago the 09 dragon 155 , but have learned a few things like the longer track heats up bad if you are not in the snow i caught this one early so i have boogie wheels coming to put on with the ice scratchers, but this unit is a power house, so don't be fooled i think imagination with what you can do will only be limited by how big your nuts are , I'm older , so jumping sled off cliffs i have done that in previous years with smaller sleds and wrecked many, so if thats what your into smaller track might be better, just my opinion anyway , but i love the Polaris sleds , and i think the dragon and the assault both are sleds to reckon with on the hills,

diggler

Reaction score
I just put boondocker turbo on my 09 assault , rode it twice with 146 track but way to much track speed just trenched, so I put on 163 rails and track off new dragon and it is retarded where it will go. Im running about ten pounds boost. The suspension is incredible.It is like my 440 iq, the harder you ride it the better it works.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

have you picked up a sled yet.....what did you choose???

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 100 miles I got out of mine was great.......suspension wise you can't beat an Assault, they are very tough machines.........motor wise, don't count on it......I babied the motor and it blew up. They tell me it was because of snow ingestion.....CAN'T RIDE IT IN THE POWDER!!!!! WTF!!!!!........I'm a diehard polaris rider and this kind of crap pisses me off!!!!:rant::rant::rant:

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still holding off...doing a rebuild on the 03' 800 RMK right now; I was waiting for this...OH NO~! Perhaps I will be riding the 03' for one more yr untel they rectify this problem.

Top Bottom