68RFE build up NAPC or Commercial Powertrain

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for any feedback or experience with either NAPC or Commercial Powertrain to do a 68RFE to be relatively reliable for 500hp. Not really looking to take the truck past that with new turbos or anything. Maybe 50hp injectors later someday or not.

NAPC heavy hauler 500hp gets a billet over drive drum with new clutch stack, new steel sprag, valve body upgrades, modified pump assembly, billet multi disk TC, billet input shaft, for $4600ish

Commercial power gets roughly the same mods but is $2000 more rough quote over the phone.

US offerings would be a RevMax 450s that gets a Sonnex smart tech OD housing, custom clutch stack, roller sprag, and their billet valve body channel plate with billet accumulator pistons, transgo SSV, which runs over $6500 Cdn with limited dealers and support up here.

Or I buy the sonnex overdrive housing, reverse sprag, HD input shaft, and multi disk TC with whatever else for the valve body and have someone tear mine down and adding a rebuild kit for bushings and so on it seems I would be in the ball park price of an entire trans anyway.

Any experience with any of those?

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
commerical powertrain all day long. They built one of the first 1000hp 68s. Cumminsforum.com they have good reviews even in USA
Ya he quotes on high on phone, I would too if I was getting calls all day long haha.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Commercial powertrain did my old dmax head gaskets, good guys wouldn’t hesitate to go there again.
I chatted a bit about his trannies, sounds like he way over builds them but he said he could drop the costs a bit by using different parts although he prefers not to. Other than that I have no other insight….

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Add bd diesel to your list. They make good stuff. I just did the valve body and run 250lb line pressure. They sell built trannys for exchange as well. Good products and good service.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Add bd diesel to your list. They make good stuff. I just did the valve body and run 250lb line pressure. They sell built trannys for exchange as well. Good products and good service.

What do you mean when you say you did the valve body? You mean their protect kit? I still wouldn’t run over 200psi with just a valve body upgrade, protect kit or full upgrade VB. Maybe you are already aware but the weak point is still the bolt on pressure plate and there have broken bolts from over pressuring them. But of course it’s not a for sure to happen.

I have used and still use several BD products and quality wise they are good but I had already looked at the Trans offerings and truth be told I was a little disappointed in what they put into it.

Their valve body has no mention of an upgraded SSV valve, no billet accumulator pistons, basically just putting a new Mopar valve body with no upgrades other than the accumulator plate on it.

The rest of the internals are an upgrade but I am not confident they have addressed all the shortcomings they should just based on what I have read from their published info and feedback on forums.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you mean when you say you did the valve body? You mean their protect kit? I still wouldn’t run over 200psi with just a valve body upgrade, protect kit or full upgrade VB. Maybe you are already aware but the weak point is still the bolt on pressure plate and there have broken bolts from over pressuring them. But of course it’s not a for sure to happen.

I have used and still use several BD products and quality wise they are good but I had already looked at the Trans offerings and truth be told I was a little disappointed in what they put into it.

Their valve body has no mention of an upgraded SSV valve, no billet accumulator pistons, basically just putting a new Mopar valve body with no upgrades other than the accumulator plate on it.

The rest of the internals are an upgrade but I am not confident they have addressed all the shortcomings they should just based on what I have read from their published info and feedback on forums.

There’s more the accumulator plate, but it’s a nice driveable upgrade that doesn’t feel like a built truck, but gives a nice firm shift and 4th lockup. The separator plate in the kit is not stock either. I don’t tow massive, but 10k roughly every second weekend. I’ve been happy with the changes. I run 100hp tune, so a bit under 500.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where ever you take it make sure they modify it so it pumps fluid in park. Maybe new ones do but the older ones didn’t. Huge killer of transmissions IMO.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s more the accumulator plate, but it’s a nice driveable upgrade that doesn’t feel like a built truck, but gives a nice firm shift and 4th lockup. The separator plate in the kit is not stock either. I don’t tow massive, but 10k roughly every second weekend. I’ve been happy with the changes. I run 100hp tune, so a bit under 500.

I will call and see if I can talk to someone there direct as they don’t really mention much more than their protect kit comes with the accumulator plate and bonded separator plate.

For roughly the same price I can get a Sonnex accumulator plate, billet piston kit, bonded separator plate and if I want the anodized SSV upgrade. That really is the bare minimum I considered doing be it if I did the upgrades or bought an upgraded valve body but start adding higher pressures and a new weak link gets exposed. Lol

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

BD takes SONNAX parts and re lables them, IE the "big shaft drum" Bogus Diesel more like it.

I will call and see if I can talk to someone there direct as they don’t really mention much more than their protect kit comes with the accumulator plate and bonded separator plate.

For roughly the same price I can get a Sonnex accumulator plate, billet piston kit, bonded separator plate and if I want the anodized SSV upgrade. That really is the bare minimum I considered doing be it if I did the upgrades or bought an upgraded valve body but start adding higher pressures and a new weak link gets exposed. Lol
DO NOT buy a BD tranny, I went through 7 before going to Iconic Driveline. If I was in your shoes I would do CP in calg as they local. Yes maybe a grand more expensive but he has 3 1000 hp trucks I know if using his 68s

Top Bottom