650 V Twin Rebuild

perrymb

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am hoping that someone out there can help me figure out what I am going to do with my Kawasaki engine.

I have a 2004 A/C with the stock Kawasaki 650 V Twin engine. Trouble is it squeeked. Not sure why yet as I haven't torn it down. Oil light works but did not come on. If I free it up I can get it to start but then it stiffens up again and stops in about 10 - 15 seconds. I suspect a blockage in an oil galley or something is the root problem.

Anyway here is my question. I'd like to increase the displacement during the rebuild, and am hoping some one can advise what I can do with out getting too crazy in the cash department. What parts are interchangeable with the 700 and/or 750 cc versions of these engines. I have researched bore and stroke info and they are as follows: 650 - 80X63mm = 633cc; 700 - 82X66mm = 697cc; and, 750 - 85X66mm = 749cc.

Can I use cylinders from the 700 or 750 on my case. Is there enough room in my cylinders to overbore them. By my calculations, if I over bore to 84mm and leave the stroke alone displacement should be 698cc and the stock 32mm carbs should be adequate, but I don't know whether pistons are available.
If I overbore to 82... or use 700 cylinders the displacement should be 665cc, and if I overbore to 85mm or use 750 cylinders displacement should be 715cc.

I'd even consider stroking it with a crank from a 700 or 750 if the parts will fit, however, if I get too big I run into less than adequate carburation as the 750 runs 34mm carbs.

I'm just looking for someone that can help me figure out what my options are and hoping that someone on this forum can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Perry

crushd

Reaction score
a good site to check out is kawiriders.com, if it can be done someone there has done it

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stop in at Climbhigher by the bowling ally in Sherwood Park. He is becoming a contributing Member here and has done a few of those engines. Seems a common problem. He knows how to fix it up for sure. Tell him Glen sent you Thanks

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Anyway here is my question. I'd like to increase the displacement during the rebuild, and am hoping some one can advise what I can do with out getting too crazy in the cash department....

I'd even consider stroking it with a crank from a 700 or 750 if the parts will fit, however, if I get too big I run into less than adequate carburation as the 750 runs 34mm carbs.

I'm just looking for someone that can help me figure out what my options are and hoping that someone on this forum can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Perry

How does 765cc without stroking or carb replacment and as a kit sound? Welcome to Four Stroke Tech.net!. You do need the springs if you opt for the cams. The cams has as much gain as the big bore. The CDI is a nice touch. I have done an AC and a Kawi with this kit; One was with the cams, springs and cdi, the other just the big bore. The cams and CDI are worth the price. I've also use the 900 Twin Peaks bore/stroke kit from these guys aswell; I was pleased with what I got.

perrymb

Reaction score
Thanks to all who posted here. You've been very helpful. I'll be tearing it down after the september long. I spoke with guys at Four Stroke Tech. They suspect the lower conrod bearing on the front cylinder by my description of the symtoms. Likely mauled the crank. They say a 750 crank will fit in and with shorter con rods and the 765 big bore kit I'd be looking at a 803cc. They tell me the stock carbs will handle it.

I like what I'm hearing.

I guess I'll see when I get it apart. I'll post as I go along.

Thanks to all.

Perry

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will want new cams with your build.

Fundy Performance Sports in Nova Scotia... 1-902-647-2250

Top Bottom