650 outlander stalls (sometimes?????)

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope sombody else has experience with this. I've an 07 650 outlander, what basically happens is after running for a while the bike will shut off while stopping in or out of gear.
The precurser to this is the speedo needle will "bounce irratically". Now I've done fuel filter, plugs, exhaust, air filter, oil change, injector cleaner..(What'd I Miss???) I did take it to Marten equiptment for a Puter read out and cleaned the altitude/oxy sensor (Carb Medic). Still no difference.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No it runs fine till it warms up, then the stalling starts. I can however immediately start it. Sometimes it runs fine for a bit others it stalls right away.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did think perhaps a plugged muffler but no change after a new one. I was also considering a fuel pump but temperature should have no effect . The fuel tank has a new breather line running to the air box and it is clear. In the last 2 months I've done quite a number of mods but I don't see how any of them could have any affect though. Just in case here is what I've done:
Exhaust, Snorkle kit, clutch kit,rad relocate, lift kit, tires &wheels, general stuff, no engine mods or electrical type of stuff.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How would I test for this? How would engine temperature affect the fuel pump?

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
its not actually the engine heat, its the strain of working the fuel pump. install a pressure guage on the feed line to the injectors... that will tell ya a story

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you running marked fuel?
I think I know where you going with this and it doesn't matter. If it did, alot of seadoo's and boats would be f'd.

I too would check the fuel pressure. Does the engine just stall or does the display and everything go blank?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CanAm's are famous for doing goofy things when the battery connections are dirty or loose. Sounds dumb, but it's the first thing to check. Check the two fuses at the rear by the battery too...they get all corroded. THEN check your fuel pressure, etc, etc....

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is collection of grounds near the battery, pull them all off and clean them up, a little sand paper helps. re-assemble with dielectric grease. Had a similiar problem with my 2007 Renegade.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LBZ: Only the engine stalls, the display stays on....
Dave B: There is a new battery as well, that was one of my first thoughts as the old battery was dated "07". I Did clean the two 30a fuses at the rear, been idleing for 1/2 hour and good so far....
What funtion are the two fuses?

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any1butjj: That makes a whole lotta sense in terms of preventative maintenance as well, this bike was factory (no mods)and trail ridden in BC till I got er a couple of months ago. What else should I be doing as this bike is now doomed to a life of mud and water. I was considering taking all electrical joints apart, cleaning then given em a smoozey with liquid electrical tape to seal em. So far everyone I've taken apart has been cleaned with contact cleaner and carb medic but I ve not used the liquid electrical tape yet or is this a bad idea?.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The two fuses are the main power supply.

For mud/water...take every connection apart and dielectric grease them. Get to the main harness under the pod as well.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pod? What is this pod you speak of and where is it? Sounds like a fair major undertaking I'm not so sure about this one. I've done everything else to my bike but these were more Mechanical though, ellectrical is above my pay grade so to speak.
Perhaps you want a job.... I'll pay and help (do most of the physical work with guidence) all at the same time so I can learn. I just want to get er done right and not be the guy who has to hire a helicopter or something goofy like that. There are many currencys I deal in, Rye, Rum, Vodka, Beer, Burbon and of course good old fashioned Cash...or any combination thereof...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL. It's not that bad. Pull seat off. Grab plastic that surrounds handlebars/guage/shifter and pop it off. The pod is the speedo....you will see the ECM under there.

If you are going to give it a life of mud and water, you MUST consider snorkles....at least the CVT exhaust must be raised. Where is your home base?

Last edited:

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in Edmonton North end. I have it snorkled and rad relocate already. Pulled some wires (I believe that ground cluster)cleaned and dielectric grease ,,,it got worse? now I can't start it unless I give er gas now.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Top Bottom