6.7 Powerstroke Cold Weather Questions:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So yesterday morning was -33 I had the truck plugged in so fired it up and let it idle for 20mins, got in drove off, stopped at a stop sign about a mile away and there was blue smoke coming out of the pipe and the typical cold diesel exhaust smell, I thought these were supposed to burn clean? Anyway so I carried on and about 5 mins later on the highway at 100 I looked down and it was reading 0 boost, rolled into the fuel and still nothing, so I floored it and it sluggishly came up to about 18psi (usually runs 21) and it continued to run like this until I shut it off. Now I'm not sure if it was in regen and trying to make more heat or what but this doesn't seem normal. After the next startup it drove normal again.

Now this morning it was -24 and the blue smoke was there again, but the turbo acted fine. Is this normal?

I stopped in at the dealer yesterday and they were less than useless, and was met with a "I'm not sure if its supposed to do that or not". I know just before the snow flew I seen a traces of black beginning to form in the tailpipe so I have been wondering if this is all related and being caused by a bad DPF.

BTW its a 2014.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your boost seems high. Excess smoke might be from longer idle period then burn off while driving.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your boost seems high. Excess smoke might be from longer idle period then burn off while driving.

That's what I was wondering as well just the cold causing fuel to build up in the exhaust and burning off when moving, just not sure how clean these burn in the winter, my old dmax this would be normal. As for boost I've been told 21 at WOT is normal, it only runs 5-7 psi when cruising at 100, just found it weird that yesterday it was at 0, but I'm really hoping it was just trying to regen or something.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your dpf is screwed. Just went through this with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your dpf is screwed. Just went through this with mine

I'll try and get into the dealer again and talk to someone else, hopefully they can help me out, just sucks the truck is less than a year old with only 19,000km.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what sweld said... my 2012 burns super clean no matter the temp, never seen a hint of smoke, however when cold the smell is more pronounced for sure

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best thing you can do for any diesel is take off all the emissions crap, cat, and muffler.

I would love to, but then there goes my warranty plus another $2500 to delete it, I'll see where this goes first, if its going to smoke anyway though I might as well have better economy, and power to go along with it.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine had 100000k on it. It might not be your whole system with it only having 19000 on it. Mine acted like that for about a week then finally the cel came on that's when it took it in

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what sweld said... my 2012 burns super clean no matter the temp, never seen a hint of smoke, however when cold the smell is more pronounced for sure
Ya when I took off it looked like a bunch of steam, but by time I got to the next stop sign a 100ft away the steam cleared and it was a significant blue haze behind me, kind of like starting a 2 stroke sled on a cold morning. I know the cummins work trucks don't do this either.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine had 100000k on it. It might not be your whole system with it only having 19000 on it. Mine acted like that for about a week then finally the cel came on that's when it took it in

I've been wondering for a while with the traces of soot in the tailpipe but have been waiting to see if it gets worse, but with the no boost/blue smoke issue its been moved up the priority list.

I'm just hoping I didn't make a mistake switching from GM to Ford.

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
Plugged up Egr cooler is my bet. Mine was replaced at around 30k Kms. Same symptoms it just got progressively worse until it would barely maintain highway speeds.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dpf ....pipe should be soot free

I agree. My dmax with 143k doesn't have a speck of soot on the tail pipe and she is used hard.

0 boost would indicated a ton of back pressure.

Perhaps there is moisture build up in the dpf which was close to a regen or in the process when shut off, froze the dpf some and went away as you drove it?

mine has a hint of diesel smell too only in cold weather. In the summer I can't smell anything.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just an update, stopped in at the dealer today and they had varying theories from injectors to turbo to DPF, but won't know for sure til they get it in there. It's booked in for Monday but in the meantime it has developed a small coolant leak on the primary system by the right front tire, looks like its coming out of the bottom of the rad, so that will be looked at as well.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just an update, stopped in at the dealer today and they had varying theories from injectors to turbo to DPF, but won't know for sure til they get it in there. It's booked in for Monday but in the meantime it has developed a small coolant leak on the primary system by the right front tire, looks like its coming out of the bottom of the rad, so that will be looked at as well.

Yup rad is done. My 11 and 13 same thing. Everyone I know with a 6.7 has had the rad done same as the 08. Frickin bs. They need to do a recall

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might depend on who is there. You went in on Saturday? Might not have the more experienced guys there then.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I realized that right away when i went in Saturday and said 6.7 powerstoke, and the look i got was like "what, we sell those here?"

I talked to the shop foreman today and like he said it could be a number of things, but can't say for sure until they pull it in on Monday.

Top Bottom