5.9 Cummins Oil Changes

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody
Planning on doing my oil changes myself from now on.
What do you recommend for synthetic, semi or full and what brand?
Thanks.:ramsfan_small:

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your not a member already join the cummins power booster club which is good at any Cummins Western Canada Branch for discounts on fleetguard filters, parts, oil and service.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
0w40 esso xd-3 oil. and use the oem filters they are suprislingy cheap. i think i paid 4 dollars or something at the place i bought the truck from. and also change the fuel filter every other oil change. do this and your knees will wear out before the truck does.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and use the oem filters they are suprislingy cheap. i think i paid 4 dollars or something at the place i bought the truck from.

Which dodge dealer are you buying your filters from? The dealership in Stony and Spruce Grove want over $40 a piece for each filter......:mad:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Hello everybody

What are you using now? Do you put on alot of miles? Do you let it idle alot? Do you pull anything with it? How often do you change oil..km's or hrs? There are a few contributing factors when choosing the right oil for the application at hand :)

I have been using Shell Rotella T and Donaldson filters in my 5.9 Cummins. Not a fan of synthetic but to each their own. Shell has been my oil of choice for many years because it's a proven product with what I do for a living. My 550 Cat has just over 24,000 hrs on 15w40 Rotella and change every 300 hrs :beer: Shell oil has not let me down :d Donaldson is another proven product and a good cross over filter. I use these for oil, fuel, and water filters. This is just my opinion...

mel.h

Reaction score
I agree with RMK JUNKY, Shell Rotella is a awesome oil & a lot cheaper than most, just by it by the pail ( If I recall correctly, it's about $52.00 for a 20 L pail ).Wix filters are also very good ( was told that is who Dodge gets to make their filters ) & way cheaper than the best deal the dealer will give you ( these are available at any Napa Store ). Also, you could buy direct from Cummins, they are almost half the cost for all the filters, as opposed to what it costs at Dodge.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to UFA and buy the Fleetguard filters, spend the extra money and get the "Stratopore" sythetic filter media. I use the Chevron Delo 5/40 synthetic and run it year round. I change every 8-10 K.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody

I use 0w40 all year round buy the brand you like and stick with it. I use Fleetgaurd oil and fuel filters and yes pay the extra and get the Stratapore. I change oil at 10000 k and fuel at 20000 k i also do oil sampling and there are no issues at all. I dont do a lot of idling and if i do it is at 1100 to 1500 rpm. The original fuel filter was a Fleetgaurd and since then there has been a new part # for 2003-07 so in order to get the right one go to Cummins or your dealer.Hope this helps.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.
Went with Rotella T Synth 5W-40, Very good price,way more reasonable than Amsoil.
Happy New Year everyone.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use filters from cummins. Shell Rotella T in the summer (from Canadian Tire), Chevron Synthetic in the winter (from UFA, $109/20l). I change about every 15,000km. I do fuel about every 3rd change. I change air filters 2 or 3 times between changes.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hands down best bang for buck is either shell rotella 5w40 or petrocan 5w40 duron will give best protection for the money good choice on the rotella also i would use fleegaurd filters too

albertasummitx

Reaction score
i run shell 5w40 in winter and 15w40 in summer,shell is used in all our pete's to as well as loader's.i find the ow40 fluctuates my oil pressure when running hot so i stick with 5w40 or 15w40. as well if you know anyone who run's case or komatsu equipment the filters are the same ,and the price is right . lol just saying if there on the shelf :p:beer:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use filters from cummins. Shell Rotella T in the summer (from Canadian Tire), Chevron Synthetic in the winter (from UFA, $109/20l). I change about every 15,000km. I do fuel about every 3rd change. I change air filters 2 or 3 times between changes.

You switch from dino to synthetic every year? :eek: And I hope you get an analysis done if your going 15,000km on dino, or even synthetic, that's quite a while! And Dodge says 24,000 for fuel filter, 45,000km is looking for problems IMO!

I use Amsoil 10W40 with amsoil EO filter every 10,000km or so. Analysis turns out great. Don't go any longer because I do a lot of city driving and a ton of idiling. I do the fuel filter every 15,000km, and clean my air filter every oil change, do it way more often then needed but better safe then sorry.

I only use synthetic because of how much better it starts in the winter. Don't care how good of dino oil, unless it's 0w40 or something, it's not going to be as good as synthetic for cold starting. Plus I don't want to change oil for winter/summer.

albertasummitx

Reaction score
personally i only run 7500km's on synthetic or the non,and with my fass fuel system ,with a water seperator and then a secondary filter i only change twice a year. i find with the synthetic in the summer pulling holiday trailer that the oil guage fluctuates and with 300+ on it i aint taking chances. but definatly need in the winter for startability lol:beer:

Top Bottom