4X4 system

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have narrowed it down to the grizzily 700 or the can am 800 to purchase in the next few months was wondering if any one can tell me how the visco system on the outlander compares to the yamaha 4x4 and diff lock system.i would be using it mostly trail riding and hunting.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have narrowed it down to the grizzily 700 or the can am 800 to purchase in the next few months was wondering if any one can tell me how the visco system on the outlander compares to the yamaha 4x4 and diff lock system.i would be using it mostly trail riding and hunting.

for slow speed, technical type riding, ie going over rocks, logs, hills, tight spots, go with the Griz. For applications where you can use the throttle, ie mud, sand, giving it ch!t, go with the Outlander.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for slow speed, technical type riding, ie going over rocks, logs, hills, tight spots, go with the Griz. For applications where you can use the throttle, ie mud, sand, giving it ch!t, go with the Outlander.
Basically a decent recomendation for the older Visco-lock. But the new Visco QE (quick engage) is nearly an instant seamless transition from 3wd to full 4x4. It only comes in the models with power steering.

Remington721

Reaction score
Tough choice, I bought a outty 800 a month ago and I love it. The power is very controllable so it makes it easy to use for hunting, and the visco-lok is really good but mine has the QE I think

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya till the diff lock fork bends.

If u need diffy parts its one half or the other half ( can't get inside parts)

One is like 1200.00 and the other is 1500.00

Have a buddy make his own fork and it worked for 1/2 a year. Now it has a hole in the cases

sent from my htc

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya till the diff lock fork bends.

If u need diffy parts its one half or the other half ( can't get inside parts)

One is like 1200.00 and the other is 1500.00

Have a buddy make his own fork and it worked for 1/2 a year. Now it has a hole in the cases

sent from my htc

I had that issue with on of my Grizzlies but only becuase a freind hammered on the gas without the diff lock being fully engaged. Rapid Revolutions saved me a few (well, more than a few) bucks by straightening out the fork and shimming it so it is less likely to bend. It still works just fine a year later. ...just need to be really careful not to touch the throttle until the diff lock is engaged, which kinda sucks sometimes when you try to engage it while you're already stuck.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had that issue with on of my Grizzlies but only becuase a freind hammered on the gas without the diff lock being fully engaged. Rapid Revolutions saved me a few (well, more than a few) bucks by straightening out the fork and shimming it so it is less likely to bend. It still works just fine a year later. ...just need to be really careful not to touch the throttle until the diff lock is engaged, which kinda sucks sometimes when you try to engage it while you're already stuck.

Ya well that's my buddy robs quad

He's not easy forsure but still

sent from my htc

Krazey

Reaction score
I have 2 Arctic Cat atvs. They have the Diff Lock very similar to Yamahas. I've been riding with a buddy who was on a Can Am 800 with the Visco QE. I was really impressed with that system. Where I would have to be at a full stop to engage my 4th wheel, and lose all momentum, his would automatically engage and pull hime through.

In about a year, or maybe a bit more, when I have the AC 700 paid off, I'm going to get a Can Am 800 XT. For hitting the trails it seems like the best thing going.

But for hunting, the AC 550 is plenty. And really, when I go trail riding with most people, I still have to stop and wait when I ride my 550. But my Buddy on that Can Am 800 blows the 700 out of the water. I just can't keep up.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ran the 700 grizz for 4 yrs and yes had issues with the shift fork once... removed shift fork, straightened welded and drilled a piece of keystock in to reinforce shift fork and never had a problem for the remaining 2 yrs I rode it.
With that being said I now ride an outty 800 and would never go back the 4x4 system works very well, you cant compare the power and I find the outty alot more stable of a machine

Top Bottom