2017 gm 6.6l duramax diesels get new ram air hoods....

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
2017-chevy-silverado-hd-duramax-ram-air-intake-3-1.jpg

Everyone likes a nice ram-air hood, even the ones that don't make much of a difference. GM knows a little something about that, and slapped them on Pontiacs for years. Now it's the trucks' turn: All 2017 Silverado HDs with the 6.6-liter Duramax turbo-diesel get a new hood and intake system designed to deliver lots of cool, dry air to the cylinders.

The fancy new hood also provides a true ram-air "supercharging" effect – it's not just dumping air into the engine compartment like some add-on hood scoops. Higher-speed, cooler air is always good for combustion. The new system also has a patented way of removing moisture from the charge air.

The sciencey part: After air comes in through the hood scoop, it enters an expansion chamber and makes a 180-degree turn before reaching the intake. In making that turn, there's a velocity change that flings the water molecules from the air by centrifugal force. The H2O is collected and drained through a valve, and the resulting intake air is dry, or at least drier, removing one of the downsides of feeding ambient air into an engine.

On a good day, about 60 percent of engine air will be sucked through the hood slit, with the rest coming in from within one of the front fenders. And if the hood is blocked – say, by ice or snow – the engine will do all its breathing through that fender location.

Chevy doesn't quote any increase in engine output as a result of adding the new intake system. Instead, it sounds like the engine puts out its maximum output in a wider variety of conditions than before, and that the engine can run at a lower temperature. About the only way to physically measure the effect of the change is to gauge the radness added by the hood scoop.

We expect the GMC Sierra HD will benefit from the same intake system next year, maybe with a more trapezoidal slot in its hood. And if GM gives us numbers to better assess the sweet new hood's effectiveness, we'll be sure to pass those along.

2017-chevy-silverado-hd-duramax-ram-air-intake-3-1.jpg

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks sweet, that's what I said when I first saw pic too...

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mean surely they have thought about snow plugging the air filter..... Don't get me wrong great idea but may be an issue

olymon

Reaction score
Sirkdev, Yeah, can't wait to see these truck driving in the salt mist coming off the roads after they salt them during slushy/icy conditions. All of a sudden, the truck has become only a fair weather vehicle.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm more worried about the drain getting plugged with bugs and leaves. Hope they thought of that.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2014 has that already. Ram Active Air. Just dosent have a fancy hood. Its all the poplar fuzz that pisses me off. Got 2 reusable filters and change them every 2-3 months
7f759dfd908dc67ca027e7a82f85f977.jpg

Last edited:

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That hood will look sweet with stacks!

The only holes that should be drilled in the box are meant for 5th wheel hitches to be installed. My opinion anyway

Hopefully on the full load. Slt and ltz they have went back to painted accents or black and ditched some of that godly chrome everywhere.
New hood looks nice Hopefully it's sask/ab/ bc tested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another well thought out gimmick, ram air hood on a turbocharged engine.

There is pros and cons to a active air intake. I prefer to pull the air from under the hood and avoid icing in the winter.
The gain in performance it's a ram air hood is not that much for a everyday driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cooler intake temperature is good for power and lower operating temperature but yeah not the greatest in the winter. Buddy had a custosm ram air setup on his '05 Dmax and outside air temp was -33, IAT was -17 lol. Would sometimes ice up his maf.

It would get snow in it that would plug the filter once in awhile too. Or melt when he sat idling then freeze after he hit the highway. That truck drove alot of miles with no air filter lol.

I think with the intake being on the hood and not close to the ground it shouldn't get as much moisture in it. I would assume they tested all scenarios....

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ram air was invented to provide a small edge in power at 90+mph on a track. Selling one on a turbocharged diesel truck is such a stupid advertising gimmick I almost thought it was a Ford. Looks cool, like the srt10 hoods that produce a negative pressure at speed.

Top Bottom